Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scvhsot.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ettorerom

ettorerom

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:35 AM

Hi!
I had my laptop infected by a worm virus.
After cleaning it with AVG, I restarted my computer that now works properly.
The only problem is that when I start it at the end of the starting process the following message appears on the screen: "scvhsot. exe error".
This kind of error (besides the initial message) doesn't seem to generate any other problem, but I would like to fix also this apparently small problem.
Can someone help me?
Thanks
Ettore

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

Typically when you get a virus it makes an entry in your registry instructing your computer to run the virus everytime you start. Your antivirus found the virus and deleted it, but this entry is still in your registry, which is why you are getting the error message. Using the AutoRuns utility you should be able to locate this entry and delete it.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ettorerom

ettorerom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:56 AM

Hi Budapest,
I followed you suggestion, but the error message is still there!
The message is "impossible to find the file SCVHSOT.EXE".
Thanks for your help
Ettore

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:46 PM

I suspect that this is a remnant left over from removing the item at this link: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/QQKAV-16731.html

So, this is a good thing because it can't find the virus to launch it - but it's a bad thing because there's still a trace of the launcher there to mess with you.

I'd suggest using this free program to find what's launching scvhsot.exe ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...s/Autoruns.mspx ) and deleting it. That should get rid of the error message on startup.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users