Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from XP Home(Finnish) to XP Pro (English)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 12 February 2005 - 04:29 AM

I wonder if anyone has an idea. I have a new PC, which came with XP Home (Finnish Version). Not Speaking Finnish I want to install my own LEGAL COPY of XP PRO In English, but when I insert and Run CD I get an Error message and it aborts..........Error Message is NOT about faulty CD, but says not allowed or something

Come On you Finns, get me out of this hole, it is making my life (and Grindlers) hell.

Ta

Stuart :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

Does the message say something like 'Cannot be installed from DOS"??
If so, that's because you need to BOOT your PC from the XP Pro CD.
You may have to alter your boot sequence in the BIOS setup to facilitate this. You can't install XP with a startup-floppy like earlier versions.

#3 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:22 PM

if that isn't the problem --- try booting from a 98 startup-floppy --- delete existing 'non-DOS' C: partition. Create new. Then format it. Now try XP Pro install again.

#4 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2005 - 12:38 PM

Thanks PIP, will get translation and try tomorrow.

Cheers

Stuart

#5 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:30 AM

you can't install an english version of XP over a Finnish version as i had the same problem with office 2000 i couldn't get it from english to chinease.

the only way you could try is formatt hardrive and just install english version of XP. long as you have the whole program and not an upgrade.

my problem was that i had english windows with english office and i needed a chinease windows to install chinease office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users