Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Installer Problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:00 AM

Hi, I'm running a Windows Xp Pro SP2 on a Pent 4 3 GHz 512MB RAM
My problem is this....every time I install a program the Installer opens up but keeps trying to install an old program...3D Floor Planner....I have to click cancel when it says that it can't find the path then cancel again otherwise it tries to install it again.
The program I want to install installs OK....but this happens every time I (re)install a new program.
Does anybody know how to fix this?
Thank you
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:42 AM

Have you removed all traces of the 3D Floor Planner program from your system?

If not, I'd suggest removing it now. If you have removed it, then it's likely that there's some residue left over from the program that's causing this.

You'll have to search your registry for references to the program (Start....Run...type in "regedit" (without the quotes) and press Enter). The Edit menu item has a "Find" function on it.

Let us know the location of the keys that you find (DON'T DELETE anything yet) and we can advise you on 1) how to backup your registry and 2) how to safely delete these entries.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:42 PM

This might help
windows installer cleanup utility
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

OK...I have run regedit and here is what it found

HKEY_classes-root\.bmf
hkey_classes_root\FloorPlan3DBuilding
Hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\fileExts\.bmf\OpenwithProgids
Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\.bmf
Hkey_local_machine\software\classes\FloorPlan3Dbuilding
Hkey_users\s-1-5-21-73586283-261478967-725345543-1003\Software\microsoft\windows\Currentversion\explorer\F

However, I have another program called Reg Crawler and that found a lot more!!

Anyway if you need or want those results let me know....otherwise Thanks for your help so far!!

Edited by English Teacher, 10 October 2007 - 04:14 PM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

Have you tried the cleanup utility that garmanma suggested?

Please post the Reg Crawler stuff also - I don't think that the keys that you've found already will affect the install issues.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:48 AM

Hi...here are the Reg Crawler results:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-73586283-261478967-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmf\OpenWithProgids (FloorPlan3DBuilding)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-73586283-261478967-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603 (002=plan3d)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.bmf\OpenWithProgids (FloorPlan3DBuilding)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant\ACMru\5603 (002=plan3d)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\FloorPlan3DBuilding
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.bmf (Default=FloorPlan3DBuilding)
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FloorPlan3DBuilding
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.bmf (Default=FloorPlan3DBuilding)

I have run the cleaner that garmanma suggested...I have also run CCleaner which found nothing because I ran it after uninstalling this Floor Planner....I've also been given by my brother-in-law a program called TuneUp Utilities 2007...I ran this last night as well and that took some more left over things....better than CCleaner (which didn't find anything!!)

However I was looking through some of these HKEY things yesterday and saw many programs that I don't use any more.......for example the old Lexmark Printer...Is it safe to get rid of these and how? Just to tidy up a bit!!! IF SAFE!!!

Thanks for your help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users