Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Popups

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polaris6

polaris6

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:50 AM

I have XP2 Pro, PC, 1GB RAM, 2 Ghz processor.

My issue is the annoying popup ads when I start IE6. I have the Google tool bar with popup 'prevention' features, but this is apparently not working too well.

My home page is USAToday.com. I cannot be the only peerson affected by this annoyance.

Is there help?

polaris6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

Have you scanned with your security programs?
A description of the popups might help to identify the adware if the programs below can't remove it.

Use the two programs below to identify, remove the malware.
Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

I have Ad-Aware 2007 (and scan every day); Spybot...Google Tool Bar (with popup block activated). Yahoo Tool bar (with popup activated).

It's not the malware (I think); it is the popup ads that stay on the screen for 5-10 sec...Dell, Fed Ex, Kinko. Marriott, etc. Those are the one I need to get rid of.

I will run the programs you suggest.

Thanks....and I will get back to you

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:46 AM

After scanning with the two programs in my first post, do this:
Look in your Add/Remove program list and Google any listing you are not sure of.
Block Third Party Cookies by following the directions in the link below.
http://privacy.getnetwise.org/browsing/tools/ie6/block3
Once you have changed your settings to block the third party cookies you will need to remove the ones that are installed on your computer. Use Ccleaner to do that.
Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,773 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 05:47 AM

Do the pop up advertisements look like the one in the example shown here? If so, it indicates your system is not secure and you should follow the instructions to "Disable Windows Messenger Service". The Messenger service is a network-based system notification service service that transmits net send messages and messages that are sent through the Alerter service between client computers and servers.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 polaris6

polaris6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:16 AM

I am still scanning now (as I write this).

The ads seem to appear ONLY when I first open the IE6 browser; it stays on for 5-10 seconds (until I find the right button to push to turn it off) and then disappears,, never to be seen again, until I enter the browser home page again. The 'turnoff' buttons seem to change; sometimes there is an 'X' in the upper right corner, sometimes there is a 'button' the reads 'CONTINUE READING'. These ads always appear at the top of the browser page, occupying about one half of the top page.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

I just checked with Firefox/NoScript and NoScript is blocking 8 advertising companies script on the USA site. It is possible that if no malware is found that if you follow the directions I posted for blocking the third party cookies (advertising, spyware, tracking) you may stop the popup ads that you are seeing on that site.
You should also check your addons in IE for adware programs.

Edited by buddy215, 11 October 2007 - 01:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users