Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Gigs Of Ram And No Resources?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 simALITY

simALITY

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 02:55 AM

I've got this Gateway 2160 Convertible tablet with a 1.7gHz processor and 2GB of RAM with Vista Ultimate installed. And I'll be working on it, and it will seem to be running fine, but then--for no reason--it won't let me open new IE window, or--come to think of it--any sort of window-- unless I close some other window first. After a while I won't be able to bookmark pages, open the context menu, or make use of dropdown boxes. Itís like there's a popup blocker running amuck.

This has happened several times in the past few months. Most recently, it happened this morning. And when I tried to open HiJackThis I got this error message that said "Out of memory". This is crazy because I was only running IE, Yahoo Messenger, and Windows Messenger. Then, when I tried to open a OneNote side note, the note closed as soon as it opened.

This has been happening off and on since I got the thing about six months ago. I reformatted and reinstalled Windows a couple of weeks ago and its still happening. Which is why I'm posting here instead of in one of the Spyware forums.

So...anyway...what's going on with my machine...and how do I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:54 AM

What anti-virus are you using?
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 04:23 AM

Avast Home edition

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:13 AM

The easiest way to check your resources is the Performance tab in Task Manager. A more complete idea can be gotten from the Processes tab when the IO Reads column is enabled. This way you can view the total number of processes running along with their CPU, Memory, and Disk Read consumption.

To do this, open Task Manager by right clicking on an empty area of the Task Bar.
Click on the Processes tab, then on the View menu item.
Select "Select Columns" and then put a check mark by IO Reads and click OK to exit the dialog.
Then stretch the window so that you can see all the columns.

Then go ahead and open up your usual bunch of windows. When you notice it slowing down, look at Task Manager to find the processes that are consuming the most CPU, the most Memory, and the most IO Reads - this should give you an idea of what's causing the slowdown. Let us know and we can suggest some things to check out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my OP. I did check task manager (while I was still able to open task manager) and I wasn't using more than 1.1GBs.

Also, the computer does not slow down. It just stops wanting to open any new windows. Doesn't matter if its the task manager or Microsoft Expression Web.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:32 PM

It may not be a memory issue, it may just manifest itself in that way (could be that a program forgot to let Windows know it released the memory after it had released it). I'd suggest leaving Task Manager open and then trying to cause this problem - that way it'll already be running when the problem occurs and you should be able to see it better. You'll be looking not just for total consumption - but odd looking (too high, too low, or too variable) figures in the different columns.

Try checking your Event Viewer for error messages around the time of the slowdown/freezes. Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Check the Application and System logs for errors. If there's an Internet Explorer section check that also. Let us know what you find and we'll move on from there.

Also, just on a hunch, try checking Device Manager for any devices with red x's or yellow !'s. Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

How many tabs are open in Internet Explorer?
Do you have all the latest Windows Updates?
Try running this free program to see if there's any issues on the system: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264
Try this free program to test your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/
And download a hard drive diagnostic utility from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.
Could you verify the model number of your Gateway 2160? I can't find any reference to that model number on the Gateway website.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 simALITY

simALITY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:03 AM

It may not be a memory issue, it may just manifest itself in that way (could be that a program forgot to let Windows know it released the memory after it had released it). I'd suggest leaving Task Manager open and then trying to cause this problem - that way it'll already be running when the problem occurs and you should be able to see it better. You'll be looking not just for total consumption - but odd looking (too high, too low, or too variable) figures in the different columns.

Try checking your Event Viewer for error messages around the time of the slowdown/freezes. Go to Start and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Check the Application and System logs for errors. If there's an Internet Explorer section check that also. Let us know what you find and we'll move on from there.

Lemme try this again: It. Does. Not. Slow. Down. It just won't open anything (like the start menu). The button works (which is to say that it goes 'up' and 'down') but no menu appears.

Also, just on a hunch, try checking Device Manager for any devices with red x's or yellow !'s. Go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Nope, everything's normal.

How many tabs are open in Internet Explorer?

No more than two or three.

Do you have all the latest Windows Updates?

yep

Try running this free program to see if there's any issues on the system: http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/index.html?dir...n=sware_dl_3264
Try this free program to test your memory: http://www.memtest86.com/
And download a hard drive diagnostic utility from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive.

Will do.

Could you verify the model number of your Gateway 2160? I can't find any reference to that model number on the Gateway website.

Sorry, I should have said 2610.

I'll let you know what happens after I run those tests.

Take care,
Nerd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users