Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Spyware Blaster Useful?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cuppachin

cuppachin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:12 AM

I have used it for sometime but it seems useless...it claims to block tracking cookies but when I scan with AVG,there are tons of cookies!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 10 October 2007 - 11:10 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:27 AM

SpywareBlaster will do 4 things for you:
1. It prevents installation of known malicious ActiveX programs (without interfering with normal ActiveX execution).
2. For Internet Explorer, it blocks cookies from known malicious sites.
3. It adds known malicious sites to Internet Explorer's Restricted Sites zone.
4. If you use a Mozilla based browser, like Firefox, it prevent malicious cookies from being installed.

Not all cookies are bad.
In fact some are quite useful, such as the ones used at Bleeping Computer.
I allow cookies for BC, because they keep me from having to log in every time I come here.
As stated in #2, SpywareBlaster blocks cookies from known malicious sites.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:31 AM

My understanding of how SpywareBlaster works is that it maintains a "blacklist" of known bad sites and blocks ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers and tracking cookies from the sites on this blacklist.

Therefore, it won't block all tracking cookies; only those from sites on the blacklist.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users