Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Button Problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ddw

ddw

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:34 PM

i am having trouble with the start button on my inspiron 8500. i have to hold the start button down for awile for it to start up. it starts eventually and with no other problems that i notice. the power light comes on but not the start up lights. thanks for any suggestions.

~Mod Edit: Topic moved to more appropriate forum~ TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 09 October 2007 - 11:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:06 AM

Hi ddw and welcome to BleepingComputer.

This could be one of a couple of things, if you are comfortable with opening the case you can use a Volt/Ohm meter to see if you switch is working properly. The switch is a normally open momentary switch which is like your door bell, when you push it in closes the contacts and completes the circuit. Test this switch you want to have the computer unplugged from the outlet. The easiest way to test this may be to trace wires from the switch back to the motherboard and disconnect them from there and test the switch from those connectors, make a notation of the location of the pins that the connectors are on. Set the meter to the Ohm scale, place the leads together and observe how the meter responds, it should zero out. Now place one lead in each connector and press the on button, the meter should respond just like it did when you shorted the leads, if it doesn't then the switch itself if bad. If the switch is good then this could be either the PSU or the motherboard. You can test the PSU with the Volts setting, once again make sure the computer is unplugged. Disconnect the 20/4 pin connector from the motherboard and place a wire jumper between the green wire and any black wire, place the black lead in any black wire socket of the connector and the red connector in the yellow socket, plug the computer back in and watch to see if the PSU start as soon as it is plugged in. This link will take you to a site that will show the different color and the proper voltages.

Let us know what you find.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users