Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add/remove Programs Locks Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deroock

deroock

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:10 PM

I've recently dealt with a large amount of malware on my computer. With the help of the Hijackthis forum, we have been able to clean it up, and I am now malware free. It was recommended I unstill my old Java, but everytime I go to control panel and click on "add/remove programs", the window opens but immediately freezes. Only the buttons on the far left of the window appear - the rest of the window (where all the programs installed usually appear) is blank. As recently as 3 days before we started fixing the malware (while in fact the computer was actively infected), I was able to use this window without problem. Has anyone seen this, and know of any way to fix this besides completely re-installing windows? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:58 PM

In add/remove programs there are four options in the left hand margin, is this first option Change or Remove Programs enabled?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 deroock

deroock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:27 PM

I should have mentioned that although those 4 buttons appear (including the "change or remove programs" one), nothing functions on that entire window - it is completely frozen. The only way I can even close that window is by opening task manager and ending the process "mshta.exe". The computer has been reset multiple times, and I've tried operating this using different users. :thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:25 PM

You might have a damaged file as a result of the means used to clean up your computer, have you tried doing a repair with the installation disk?

Edited by dc3, 09 October 2007 - 10:27 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

Hi deroock,

There may be some Registry entries missing, from the removal of the malware on your OS.
Follow the instructions in: Windows 2000 Add/Remove Programs Tool Does Not Open
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 deroock

deroock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 01:18 PM

Thanks for your help so far. I thought that microsoft support page would do the trick, because it describes exactly what's going on - but still no improvement after installing the registry entries.

In terms of doing a repair with the installation disk, I'm not sure how to go about that. It seems that I can only browse the disk or completely re-install all of windows2000. I think I need help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users