Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan-spy.win32@mx

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 massey_12

massey_12

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

I'm having this problem since yesterday. I have balloons in the bottom right corner that continue to say the following:

Trojan-Spy.win32@mx --- Type spyware/trojan vulnerable. Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2003/Win XP/Win Vista Description: spyware program that sends confidential information to a remote attacker. Protection: click this balloon to download official security software.

Around the same time, my homepage also kept turning into asafetypage.com. I ran some searches and was able to take care of that myself. Not sure if it has anything to do with this but thought I should mention it.

Anyways, I click the balloon in the bottom right and it tells me to buy Antivirgear. I've never heard of this so I went and bought norton Internet Security 2008. This didn't help and probably wasn't needed. Oh well, I'm computer illiterate so Symantec made some money off me. I can get over that but I still need/want this problem to leave.

I have a built computer that I bought from someone. It has Windows XP Professional. Like I said, I bought Norton Internet Security 2008. I also use Ad Aware. My total physical memory is 768 MB and total virtual memory is 2GB.

I don't know if anyone can help but I would certaily appreciate anything you can do to help out. If you need any other information, please ask. Finally, I'm not too CPU literate so please explain as much as possible. Thanks again for all your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 massey_12

massey_12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:50 PM

I actually fixed my own problem. I was looking through some other posts and found out that this worked for me. Below is the link, in case anyone is interested.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108399/how-to-remove-antivirgear-removal-instructions/

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:05 PM

Glad you found your answer :thumbsup:

Take care and again - welcome to BleepingComputer!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

Now you should Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recent Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 massey_12

massey_12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:16 AM

I've actually meant to do this...I don't how many times. But I've never done it before and wasn't sure what it did/how to do it. I copied this down and sent it home to remind myself. Thank you very much for this additional assistance!!!

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,586 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

Your welcome.

To protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, read:
"Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
"How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
"The Ten Most Dangerous Things Users Do Online".
"PC World's: The 10 Biggest Security Risks".
"Seven ways to keep your search history private".

Safe surfing and have a malware free day.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users