Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet With A Linksys Wap54g

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:43 PM

I've been given a dilemma from a friend. I have spent the last couple of days thinkin and suggesting solutions but none have worked.

The following info if from him in an e-mail.

"So, have the weekend all sorted so that I can spend Sunday getting my new Dell laptop set up and firing on all cylinders, ready for several bits of work I have to do this week.

Everything fine and installed, until I try and connect to my wireless internet connection. Forever hangs on "Acquiring Network Address" before telling me there is limited or no connectivity. I know the wireless is working, as the old Dell still connects to it fine, and I know the wireless in the new laptop is working because it connects to some unsecured network out the back of beyond with a sixth of a bar of signal strength, but will it connect to my secure network? Will it b*ggery!

I've reset the entire wireless end of things, and reset the passkey, then set it up from scratch on the old Dell to make sure it's all ok (which it is) only to have the same problem returned by the new Dell. Eight flaming hours on and off yesterday did I waste trying to get the darn thing to work, all without success!!!!!!!

Anyone got any clues?"

BTW I'm using a Linksys WAP54G.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:48 PM

Try these solutions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108859/my-laptop-will-not-connect-to-any-networks/
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:30 PM

Does the new computer have Vista installed? Does your router have the latest firmware installed and is it Vista compatible? There's several things to try to help Vista connect to hardware that's not compatible:

1) Disable the DHCP Broadcast Flag: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233
2) Disable IP v6 on your Network connections
3) Disable the IP Helper service in the Services applet (services.msc)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:49 PM

Cheers for your help, the problem is now sorted. It appears that his laptop was set to the wrong channel. Its always the easy ones that getcha!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users