Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Heatsink In Xfx Motherboard

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

Here are pictures of the Heatsink from a Dell socket lga 775 motherboard with a pentium 4 3.0ghz (which is what I'll be using).

http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0170fg3.jpg
http://img114.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0171yg3.jpg

When my friend handed me the processor I asked him what about the heatsink. He then told me it only fits in Dell cases.... I looked at it and it truly won't fit in a different motherboard orthidoxically (if thats a word). Well i was thinking maybe there is someway to get it to fit. I'm really out of money, and I can't go to radioshack and just shell out 30-40$ for a new heatsink. My parts are estimated to be delivered Thursday and I'm so excited, I think I'll die if I have to wait more time.

I know this isn't the greatest idea, but what if I used mass amounts of electrical tape, and tape it down to the board? I remember assembling my friends computer and the heatsink locked down into four holes. Maybe I could put some supports in there and tape them around the heatsink so it doesn't crush the processor. I know this probably isn't a good idea. I'm willing to even lay my computer on its side for a while if that will let it work. The main thing I'm really concerned about is too much weight on the processor. this heatsink must weigh about 3 pounds. I also have a much smaller copper one, for my socket 478 computer if maybe that would be a better idea? Thanks for reading this!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 04:19 PM

Massive amount of tape = very bad idea. I know you're anxious but do you want to risk trashing the CPU?
http://www.newegg.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:10 PM

Ok, well maybe I can go to radio shack and pick one up. I think it was only like 30$, and it looked pretty nice.

My friend is also letting me use some of his arctic silver 5. I know, use a very thin layer. I was planning on trying overclocking eventually (was reading up about it for quite a while today), anyways and a nice heatsink will help more.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:26 PM

Why use electrical tape when duct tape is much more sticky! :thumbsup: (just kidding!)

The cooler must be attached solidly to the processor for good heat transfer - tape just won't do the job for that. If the cooler doesn't fit, then you don't have much choice except to get a cooler that will fit. You might get a better deal here: http://computers.pricegrabber.com/cooling-...u/sortby=priceA
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users