Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd Search Windows Opening

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ragnus4444

Ragnus4444

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

My computer, at random intervals, opens a search and/or replicates current browser windows. I have run Virus scan (McAfee), Spybot, and Ad-aware, but none have solved the problem. Now I did restart the computer to get it into safemode and I noticed that there was an audible alert as though a key were stuck, but I wasn't hitting a thing. Once I got the computer into Safe Mode I noticed that when the "random search" occured, all it did was open a new browser and type "Search y}{ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt..." or something similar. It would also toggle the Caps and Num Lock. I really hope this is something I can fix b/c it's on my wifes laptop and she will kill me if I don't fix it... Thanks for any and all help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:30 AM

How strange. Do you have a Yahoo toolbar? I wouldn't think it would load in safe mode, though. Have you recently added any programs?
Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Let us know what SAS finds.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,135 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:44 AM

If your current ant-virus and security tools are not finding anything, get another opinion by performing at least one of these online Virus scans:
(The following require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component.)
BitDefender Online Scanner <- Add a check by "Autoclean".
ESET Nod32 Online Scanner (Vista compatible)
F-Secure Online Scanner <- Be sure to follow the directions on the F-Secure page for proper Installation. (also checks for rootkits).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Ragnus4444

Ragnus4444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

Ok well I Ran SAS and it came up with only 55 cookies... Nothing different, comp still has the jitters. Completely baffled on this one. =c(

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:02 PM

Do you have a Yahoo toolbar? I wouldn't think it would load in safe mode, though. Have you recently added any programs?

Please answer the questions. Follow Quietman7's recommendation.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Ragnus4444

Ragnus4444
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:14 PM

Ok my wife had yahoo toolbar but I uninstalled a long time ago... and last proggy I installed was Peer Guardian 2.0, but removed the following day. Now I noticed after speaking with you that she had Yahoo! search protection and two other things from Yahoo! that wasn't messenger. So I removed them and haven't noticed problem, but now I get an audible alert when comp starts and I am now unable to type with the keyboard... I will d/l and run bitdefender, but this will be the 4th program I have run and I doubt anything will change...

::added::

Ok, I spoke too soon, now I can't connect or open any window without a constant line of "ttttttttt" and also it keeps opening context menus and toggling between "t" options... I belive it may be hardware failure, b/c of the fact that it happens even when booting, but I will look into it and keep you posted.

Edited by Ragnus4444, 09 October 2007 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users