Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AkaAlias

AkaAlias

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:41 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm having a really anoying problem with my fresh install of windows XP

At first everything worked fine. I updated thru windows update and even installed anti virus and spyware software like ad-aware 2007, avg free, sophos anti rootkit, spybot s&d, hijackthis and such.

Scans give me no problems at all accept for some cookies and MRU files

The problem:

Whenever i try to open for instance c:\ thru 'my computer' explorer freezes. Internet explorer freezes aswell.

I can terminate the explorer proces with task manager, it seems to shut down but doesn't restart. After opening the TaksManager it still shows explorer.exe as a running proces..

Also when i try to shutdown or restart the computer thru start it doesn't do a thing.

Going back to a previous restore point doesn't fix the problem.

I've browsed the bc forum but haven't found a solution to this problem so far. My guess is that it might have something to do with a service.msc that isn't enabled or should be disabled?!

I would really apreciate your help!

[/edit]
Oh yeah, and i don't get any error messages :s
[/edit]

Edited by AkaAlias, 09 October 2007 - 06:52 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:52 AM

Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the freezes.

To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Check in all three categories (Application, Security, and System).

If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.

How To Use the Event Viewer
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:03 AM

Ok, checked the event vieuwer.

There are no error's at the exact time, but there are the following errors (in Dutch):

Vastgelopen toepassing: SMax4.exe, versie: 5.2.0.30, vastgelopen module: hungapp, versie: 0.0.0.0, vastgelopen op: 0x00000000.

Vastgelopen toepassing: SMax4Wiz.exe, versie: 6.0.0.14, vastgelopen module: hungapp, versie: 0.0.0.0, vastgelopen op: 0x00000000.

Vastgelopen toepassing: SMax4Wiz.exe, versie: 6.0.0.14, vastgelopen module: hungapp, versie: 0.0.0.0, vastgelopen op: 0x00000000.

(it should translate to something like: crashed application: Smax2.exe (wich is my sound driver for asus striker extreme mobo)

Vastgelopen toepassing: UNWISE.EXE, versie: 0.0.0.0, vastgelopen module: hungapp, versie: 0.0.0.0, vastgelopen op: 0x00000000.

Under system:

DCOM kreeg foutmelding 'Kan de service niet starten omdat deze is uitgeschakeld of omdat het geen inschakelde apparaten met zich heeft verbonden. ' bij het starten van de Avg7Alrt-service met de argumenten '' om de server
{3486DF65-1D90-406A-A072-30629910F113} te starten

(wich translates to something like: DCOM had an error, couldn't start service because it is disabled or because there is no connected device...)

Is there anyway to restore the default service.msc settings? I have a feeling the problem is being caused somewhere in there...

Edited by AkaAlias, 09 October 2007 - 07:06 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:11 AM

SMax4.exe and SMax4Wiz.exe are processes belonging to the SoundMAX Control Center which is installed alongside SoundMAX audio hardware. One thing you could try is to update your sound driver.

How to update a Windows hardware driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

It was the sound driver allright,

Tried uninstalling it, wich resulted in a freez.

After reboot tried installing over the old driver (wich was the newest version) This also Freezed.

After reboot everything suddenly worked normally again. I could uninstall the driver without problems ande re´nstall it after reboot.

Averything workd fine. Except when i tried to change a few settings in the audio configuration of the driver it suddenly BSOD'd and rebooted...

You wouldn't happen to know any good alternative driver. This soundmax driver sux monkey balls. I can't get my 7.1 surround to work, and it's oviously very unstable..

Thanks for all your help sofar!! I really, really apreciate it!
Posted Image

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:08 AM

Which driver did you install and where did you download it from?

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

I downloaded the latest version of the SoundMax driver from the asus website, as it concerns an audiocard that is delivered and packed togehter with the mobo, asus striker extreme.

But it seems a rather unstable driver. I also can't get my side spearkers to work on my creative 7.1 surround set. The rest works fine.
Posted Image

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

I would try to find an older SoundMax driver and install that - maybe the newest one is a bit buggy.

Also, when you reinstalled XP did you then install the chipset drivers for your motherboard?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:37 AM

Chipset Drivers and such are all installed. Used the Windows XP Tweaking Companion as a reference for how to best install :thumbsup:

I'll try an older driver version, and see how it works! I'll post back here.
Posted Image

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

Did the side speakers work before you reformatted? I got this from a review on Amazon:

...if you don't have a Creative 7.1 sound card, getting it all working takes a little bit more effort. The cable supplied for connecting the system to your computer has 4 stereo minijacks at the subwoofer end, and at the computer end 1 stereo minijack and 2 TRIPLE minijacks, which works for Creative sound cards but not for anyone else. You need to buy another minijack to minijack cable, unplug one of the cables from the subwoofer end (I think it was the side channel) and use your new cable to connect it to your sound card.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 AkaAlias

AkaAlias
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

Yeah it worked just fine before teh reinstall, but i was running vista.

I indeed had to get an extra cable. After wich it worked fine.

I installed older driver versions and suddenly the side speakers work again :thumbsup:

So thanks for the tip, and all the other help!

All problems seem solved, atleast for the moment :flowers:

Thank you,

greets,

s
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users