Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is Viewpoint Media Player In Windows Xp?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:08 AM

Good day to all,

I recently had to do a clean re-install of Windows XP SP2 Professional which included first formatting the hard drive even though I wish I could have fixed the problem without having to lose everything on the disk but....Hey, what's done is DONE!!

Anyway, I recently became aware of a couple of programs that exist on my system that I did not install. They are: Viewpoint Media Player, and Viewpoint Manager.

I know I have seen Viewpoint Media Player in previous versions of Windows on the Add /Remove Page of Control Panel However, I have never before seen Viewpoint Manager until just a while ago a rather small window opened in the lower right corner of my display offering to UPDATE my system by installing a Viewpoint Toolbar.

Can anyone tell me WHAT these items are...WHERE they came from and WHY do I need them on my computer OR...do I indeed NOT need them, in which case, how do I go about getting rid of them?????

Also, are they SAFE to even BE on my PC????

Sincerely,

trumpetman51
(John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:20 AM

Here is the Wikipedia article on Viewpoint Media Player.

Viewpoint Media Player

Viewpoint Media Player (VMP) is a browser plug-in produced by Viewpoint Corporation. It is commonly installed with AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) and various other softwares, most often without the user's consent.

VMP is sometimes considered to be spyware because the license agreement states that the software collects information about users' interactions with advertisements and the browser and operating system in use. This information is reported to Viewpoint and is delivered with a unique identifying code. Most people consider this to be an infringement on their privacy.

The addition of their advertisements and collection of information will most often create a performance decrease on the user's computer. Though viewpoint can be partially removed through the Add/Remove programs dialog in Windows, many users have reported having to search for all folders with "Viewpoint" in the name to completely remove the program from their system.

Viewpoint Manager is a component of various Viewpoint products, including Viewpoint Media Player and Viewpoint Toolbar, which manages the download of updates and bug fixes for Viewpoint applications
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hi Budapest and thank you for your reply!!
I would just like to know, why would AIM install this software especially without the installer's consent or knowledge? Also, Is there any point in trying to remove the Viewpoint software from my computer???

your friend,

trumpetman51 (John)
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:57 AM

If it was me I would uninstall it. It may mess up AIM, but I'm not sure as I have never used AIM.

You should be able to uninstall it from Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Make sure you have Internet Explorer and AIM closed when you try to uninstall.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

AOL is notorious for giving you stuff "for your own good" a holdover perhaps from their internet origins when their niche was created by providing everything one could need (and then some) for using the WWW in one handy package (customers were less knowledgeable then).
Unless you can determine that the software is necessary for AIM to work (which seems unlikely), the gunk should be uninstalled.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:55 AM

Thanks again to my Blepin' Computer Buddies!! I tend to agre with the "group consensus" on this matter. Uninstall the "sucka"!!! As a matter of fact, after I last posted a reply to Budapest I found that there is an icon for Viewpoint in the Control Panel and it provides instructions for uninstalling the software!!!

Just what we need, RIGHT? More UNECESSARY junk on our PCs!!!

Well, thank you again!!

Everyone have a Great day today!!!

John

trumpetman51 (John)

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:34 AM

Whenever I install any program I like to select "custom" install instead of normal. A lot of programs want to install toolbars, quicklaunch icons or add themselves to the startup process, when I might not want them to
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users