Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long Startup High Cpu Usage

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 moonei

moonei

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:55 PM

hello, I have been having the Issue with my PC, a HP dv8000 with WindowsXP SP2, I use Firefox as my primary browser, but i use IE for some online school material, and not for any other use. I use BitDefender as my Antivirus. I have been having a long start up time at the black splash screen, and then a high cpu usage at the desktop when running programs. the solution that has thus so far that seemed to fix the problem was doing a Destructive System restore, which appeared to fix the problem, but today after doing a restart due to some suspicion the problem may be back. I have not installed any hardware, nor major software that I would suspect not cause any change in preformance of the system, they are application and game software. Today, when this problem occurred, I was merly browsing the internet and using a music player, when the sound was being a bit choppy, and I noticed a high cpu usage, which is why I did a restart. I have not received any error message in relation to the problem. I have done a Hijackthis log, and no infections were found.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:45 PM

If there is a single process consuming abnormally high CPU time -- that could account for all your symptoms. When you open the Task Manager -- select the processes tab and try to identify the individual process. If it is associated with an obvious 3rd party program -- either remove and reinstall the program -- or just uninstall it completely if it is not vital.

Another method to troubleshoot is to use "Clean Boot" troubleshooting techniques described here:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See one or both of these links for detailed information. The second is for Vista -- but it is actually the best written and applies equally.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;310353
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in “selective” startup mode – you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.
Microsoft MVP Shell/User

#3 moonei

moonei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:47 PM

this is something that really stood out. I did a full scan at PcPitstop, and it gave a yellow flag on Unusually low disk performance, here it what it says.

"Drive C has an uncached speed of 1 megabytes per second.

Drive D has an uncached speed of 1 megabytes per second.

For comparison, systems with the same CPU and clock speed as this one have a speed of 20.95 MB/s."

if this is were the problem is, then that does narrow down what the problem could be, but then from what I have looked up, the problem could be a hardware failure.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:56 PM

How much free space do you have on the hdd, and when was the last time that you defragged it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 moonei

moonei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:09 AM

How much free space do you have on the hdd, and when was the last time that you defragged it?

68% of my disk is free space, and I have done a defrag less then a week ago.

#6 moonei

moonei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:22 PM

I am beginning to believe more and more that my issue may be a hard drive failure, this is because of the Error event ID: 52 that I received in the eventlog, stating that "The driver has detected that device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has predicted that it will fail. Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent." and I downloaded Diskcheckup, and there was one line on the SMART attributes which showed as failed.

5 Reallocated Sector Count 53701 FAIL 1 1 36 N.A.

does this sound like it would be a harddrive failure? if it is, it sounds like replacing the hard drive is the solution.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:16 PM

Hard drive failure is predicted by the SMART attributes of the drive. In this case, it's taking an abnormally long period of time to read from the disk (that's why your startup is so long - that's when a lot of the disk reading is going on), so this "tripped" the SMART attributes to give you the error about the hard drive failing.

So, the first thing to do is to backup your stuff. Then find your HP restore CD's as you're gonna need them to restore the computer. If you haven't made them yet, now's the time to do it (it'll save you a few bucks and a few days if you've gotta order them from HP). Meanwhile, don't use the system for anything else (not even turning it on to check) - as the more the hard drive moves, the more likely it will be to fail. Once you've got the backup and the restore CD's - then it's time for the new hard drive.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 moonei

moonei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 09:01 PM

Hard drive failure is predicted by the SMART attributes of the drive. In this case, it's taking an abnormally long period of time to read from the disk (that's why your startup is so long - that's when a lot of the disk reading is going on), so this "tripped" the SMART attributes to give you the error about the hard drive failing.

So, the first thing to do is to backup your stuff. Then find your HP restore CD's as you're gonna need them to restore the computer. If you haven't made them yet, now's the time to do it (it'll save you a few bucks and a few days if you've gotta order them from HP). Meanwhile, don't use the system for anything else (not even turning it on to check) - as the more the hard drive moves, the more likely it will be to fail. Once you've got the backup and the restore CD's - then it's time for the new hard drive.

Good Luck!

all important documents are backed up, any everything else can easily reinstalled as I have the disks for those. Although, the drive right now is running ok, although slow, if I am lucky, I should be able to do a normal data transfer between the old drive and a new one.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:32 AM

Yesterday I got a "dying" drive from a customer and tried to recover her data. Although the previous tech was able to backup stuff to her Desktop, I was not able to access this (each time I tried the shell (explorer.exe and the PE mode) would lock up and refuse to transfer the data.

As I continued to try, the drive developed a squeal (sort of like a remote control car whining when it raced up the electric motor). It was intermittent at first, but by the time that we gave up it would only squeal if you shook the drive. In between all of this we even tried the freezer trick - to no avail.

The point of all this is that the customer is now facing a $1600 charge to have data recovery performed on this drive - if it's even possible to recover anything at all!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 moonei

moonei
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 01:32 PM

yea, before I do any installation or transfer, I plan on making some back-up disc on DVDs just in case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users