Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Led Monitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigwiggler

bigwiggler

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:53 PM

I am getting a new LED monitor, and I hear different ideas, should I turn off the monitor when not in use, if I turn it off, should I turn off the power supply to it, or should I leave it on with a screen saver ?????

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:00 PM

Do your part for global warming. Turn it off.

HEHEH

Serisouly tho, LED's are less suseptible to burn in than Plasma's are. Very Much so. But if you're not going to be around it
shut the thing off. Save on the overall life of the product.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:55 AM

Leaving it on is ok, the computer will hibernate and this will cause the monitor to go into power saving mode effectively shutting it down.

Random Use...the thermal cycles of turning the monitor on and off are harder on it than just leaving it on.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:55 AM

I assume you're referring to an LCD monitor? When your computer is off, switch off the power to both computer and monitor, unless you have any wake requirement for the computer, such as programmed video recording. Even the small power consumption of equipment in standby mode adds up over long time and large numbers of units. Gear in standby mode is also vulnerable to damage from mains spikes, eg a storm while you're not there to unplug things.

There's no significant difference to thermal stress between using standby mode and shutting power off. Thermal stress is caused by repeated heating up and cooling down - going from display to standby (power saving) when you're not using the computer is hardly any different to going from display to power fully off as far as temperature variation goes. What is best avoided, both from the viewpoint of thermal stress and backlight life, is having very short wake/sleep cycles, eg a few minutes. Having the computer turn the monitor off into power saving mode after a few minutes of disuse, then continually waking it up again to keep working is hard on the backlight. Have a decent acive time, maybe 15 minutes, so that if you really do wander off for an hour, it goes into power saving, but not if you just duck off to get a drink. And yes, there is little value in a screen-saver for an LCD.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

IMHO, I'd switch it off when your not using it, saves your the hastle of worrying about wether its doing nothing and you're saving the environment too!! lol
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users