Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router - Sw Firewall Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Puzzler

Puzzler

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:30 PM

Hello everyone!

The story so far: Until recently, I had a single PC connected to the web. OS is Win XP Pro SP2; connection type is ADSL; and, I've been using Sygate Personal Pro 5.5 (yes, very old -- but working for me).

Lately, I got two more PC's I wanted to hook up. So, I got a wireless router (AirLive WT-2000R, which was actually supplied and installed by my ISP). This router seems to be conflicting with the firewall. I will note at this point that the PC in question is wired to the router, so the wireless part may be meaningless.

The problem is that I am unable to surf the web when the firewall is on. If I set the firewall to "allow all" traffic, I can surf without problem, even with the windows FW on. But if I set it to "normal", surfing is blocked. I do not get a popup asking for permission -- only timeouts.

I googled for this problem, and it seems wireless router - firewall (and Sygate specifically) conflicts are not uncommon. However, I have not managed to find a solution.

I should also mention that I am able to ping sites even with the firewall on. But actual surfing is blocked. When I check the traffic log, I see a couple of blocked packets from the router's IP, but most packets do come through.

Things I tried, but didn't help:

1. I added an "advanced rule" to allow all traffic from the relevant IP range, and even from all addresses, for all interface cards, all applications.

2. Uninstalled + reinstalled sygate several times, making sure I had clean uninstall.

3. Cursing a lot.

Any words of wisdom?
TIA!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users