Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undeleting Moved Files, From Floppys

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thegizmo90210

thegizmo90210

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

I have a large number of files that were stored on floppys. They were formatted using FDFORMAT.EXE, under DOS 5.0 or 6.22.

Before Windows 95 and up came along, I was able to, using command prompt, restore the files one-by-one by restoring the first character of the file name. I have lost the media that these files have been put to, and need to restore them again.

I am currently running XP Pro. These disks are readable, as the tools show the disks with varying levels of used, and unused space on them. They report properly the increased capacity as setup with FDFORMAT. Using the current command prompt in XP shows the existence of the files, yet no filenames in the root. I am reluctant to experiment with anything for fear of damaging the structure of the trees. How do I use a modern tool to do, as old DOS did, by returning the first character as I used to in pre 98 days, to the filenames in the directory listings.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:58 AM

Hi gizmo, could I ask for some more exact details of your problem? I agree, don't do anything to the disks until we're clear on exactly what type of recovery we are contemplating.

Tell me if I've understood the situation correctly:

It seems you've originally formatted the disks with FDFORMAT to high capacity, eg 1.72M, and previously transferred files across from them with the MOVE command, hence deleting the files that were on the disks. You're hoping to be able to use a recovery utility as you have in the past to restore the files' directory entries, recreating the original filenames by remembering what character has been overwritten with the "deleted file" marker. Correct?

If so, I'd be inclined to try showing one of the disks to the freeware PCInspector program, to see if the files can be recovered that way:

http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recov....htm?language=1

I think the high capacity format shouldn't be a problem working through Windows, which is used to Microsoft's own high capacity format, unlike the older versions of DOS. PCInspector won't make any changes to the disk, allowing other recovery options if it is unsuccessful.

In my experience, high capacity formatted disks wwere also more prone to data corruption, due to being pushed beyond their conservative "safe design" parameters.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users