Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System32\|config\system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ramsey76

ramsey76

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:44 PM

I am getting the following error on my 3 year Compaq PC.

The following file is missing or corrupt

Windows\system32\config\system.

I have tried F8 to reset and to the last know configuration but nothing happened.

I can not find the system disks that came with the PC.

I have done a google search but I could not understand the solution based on the search result.

I would appreciate any help you can give me

Thanks

TB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:12 PM

Basically you need the system restore disks at this point because

A) The file is Corrupt or MIssing and you can't start windows w/o any way you slice it.
and
:thumbsup: It's more of a hassle trying to replace that file on a system like a Compaq which prolly has a Restore Partition...

Restore Partition? What a novel Idea! If you haven't any DATA on the machine you could just F10 or F11
to boot to the restore, whichever is appropriate. From there you could restore to Factory settings.

Be warned tho that this will delete ALL PROGRAMS and DATA on the machine. If you want to save this data first, then you
should get and external HDD Case and put your HDD in that, connect it to a known working machine, and drag and drop
files or use some program to back up files for you. DON'T DELETE the Restore partition however. If the Restore Partition is
already toast, then you need to get the Restores from HP/Compaq. HP owns Compaq BTW.

Tell me what you'd like to do and I'll be gald to assist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users