Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Downloader

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

Im running Super-anti spyware at the moment and its found some sort of trojan downloader. Only the gods knows where its come from as i try to keep my computer clean. I dont really get much more than a few cookies now and then so I panic when I get something bigger like this.

Is super-anti spyware going to be enough to handle this or will I need another tool to get rid of it completely? Also, is this going to compromise my computer like give details to other people, rack up a huge phone bill, reduce internet speed, etc? Never had a trojan that as far as I can remember so some info would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:36 PM

"Downloader" means it is designed to download other malware onto your computer
Whether you caught it in time or not---who knows. Best to check with other programs.
Run your antivirus in safe mode--do the same with SAS.

Here is another good program to scan with.
Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Let us know the results, please.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:14 PM

Is there a specific file name and location associated with this Trojan? That would help identify it.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. DO NOT use yet.
Please download Dr.Web CureIt & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in SAFE MODE" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on cureit.exe to start the program. An "Express Scan of your PC" notice will appear.
  • Under "Start the Express Scan Now", Click "OK" to start. This is a short scan that will scan the files currently running in memory and when something is found, click the Yes button when it asks you if you want to cure it.
  • Once the short scan has finished, Click Options > Change settings
  • Choose the "Scan tab" and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis"
  • Back at the main window, click "Select drives" (a red dot will show which drives have been chosen)
  • Then click the "Start/Stop Scanning" button (green arrow on the right) and the scan will start.
  • When done, a message will be displayed at the bottom advising if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if it asks if you want to cure/move the file.
  • When the scan has finished, look if you can see the icon next to the files found. If so, click it, then click the next icon right below and select "Move incurable".
    (This will move it to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if it can't be cured)
  • Next, in the Dr.Web CureIt menu on top, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 athelos

athelos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:47 AM

Im not too sure what it was called now. Once SAS finished I quarantined and deleted it. I ran another scan and it didnt appear again so I'm hoping its gone. That said I will still try some of the scans youve suggested and will try SAS or AVG in safe mode too. Ill keep you updated when i get results.

Hopefully its dead now but as I've said i dont usually get much more than the odd cookie/spyware so i just tend to panic when i get something more.

Thanks for help again. :thumbsup:
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

You may want to check your Add/Remove programs and Google anything you don't recognize.
You may have picked up the malware by just visiting a site. Using Firefox with NoScript addon is the best protection from drivebys. Other than that, almost all malware requires some user action to get on your computer. Others exploit vulnerabilites in programs and OS's. Make sure that your Java, Adobe flash, Windows, Adobe Reader, and Quicktime are updated.
Hopefully, you caught the malware in time. It is always a good idea to use other programs to confirm that.

Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/

Once you are clean, you should flush the existing "restore points" as some are infected. Instructions for doing that (if you need them) are in the link below.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,597 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

Your welcome.

In regards to "Safe Mode": The Windows operating system protects files when they are being accessed by an application or a program. Malware writers create programs that can insert itself and hide in these protected areas when the files are being used. Using "Safe Mode" reduces the number of modules requesting files to only the essentials to make your computer functional. This in turn reduces the number of hiding places for malware, making it easier to find and delete the offending files. Using your anti-virus and anti-malware tools, in "Safe Mode" also speeds up the scanning process.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users