Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Trap Door Hinge Sound

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

I update a computer today, since it is an emergency model, and will take the place of a recently crashed out one, So I downloaded WXP SP2 from disc and then downloaded updates, . .
Now I'm suppose to have new security and firewall, etc.

I just noticed an old familiar noise, That screeching trapdoor hinge sounding noise, does anyone know what it is ? and how to get rid of it, and where did it come from ?

Jove

Edited by Jove, 08 October 2007 - 03:23 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:42 PM

Sorry you have lost me? what is making a screeching sound?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:22 PM

The 'trap door sound' is usually associated with AOL and the Buddylist and members leaving your buddy list. Empty your buddy list, or turn off the sounds for it....Since I don't have AOL anymore I don't know how thats done, in todays' versions.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:33 PM

OK, I'll look into that as I have just reported to McAfee, that I found the security center somehow the virus detection was turned off that is not how I left it.

I am hoping that the buddy list is not a way for a hacker to get in and do things, maybe that sounds a bit paranoid, but after a Trojan War, some sob's don't have any conscince or mercy !

But Thanks alot !

OK, I'll look into that as I have just reported to McAfee, that I found the security center somehow the virus detection was turned off that is not how I left it.

I am hoping that the buddy list is not a way for a hacker to get in and do things, maybe that sounds a bit paranoid, but after a Trojan War, some sob's don't have any conscince or mercy !

But Thanks alot !

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#5 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:02 PM

Jove, I had a very similar sound on my laptop plus other sound effects. I had an Aquarium as a screen saver and my pointer changed over to a sea shell, well it seems as though the sound usually happened when I was closing down my windows each day and it was the sound of a creaking old hinge and or movement of an old ship!! There were a few other sound effects that came with the territory such as a dolphin when I went to delete something and the message came up asking if you really wanted to delete it.
Some of this may be what you're hearing. I went in eventually and changed the sound effects and now have a wolf that howls when I close up for the day!! :thumbsup: The worst is I can't remember where I went at the time, because it's been so long, to change the sounds. I'll see what I can find around here and let you know, if you think this might be a cause of your mysterious sound.

Hang in there,
Iodine
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:09 PM

Hi Iodine,
I am of the mind that it is a AIM, Instant message thing, but it is beyond me who is doing it or done it, I am now forced to learn what I can about IM, but the sound you have described is close, I tried to describe it, and it starts out with a sound like and big old door with a large iron rusty hinge creeks open and then it slams shut and I think like a swinging door,
it's wild I had it before on another comp. but I could not find the cause, this time I'm getting into instant messgaing and I'll see if I can find it too,

But thanks alot , . .good luck !!

Jove

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:23 AM

Why don't you just uninstall IM that way you illiminate the possible sounds from that program?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users