Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot 1.5

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 01:00 PM

I updated to Spybot S&D 1.5 the other day on my Union Friendly Systems computer, upgraded to 512 M ram, running Windows ME. Before, with 1.4, when I started Spybot, the box with the tiles would appear immediately, and Spybot would be fully loaded shortly. Now, the hourglass disappears and it takes about 160 seconds for the tiles to appear and 175 seconds for the spybot window to appear, with nothing else running. At first I thought the link was bad, but "close program" shows SPYBOTSD during this time, which changes to SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY after it loads. (I didn't have close program open when I did the time check.)

A quick look at the web page before downloading 1.5 didn't tell me what is different, or list any system requirements.

The bigger problem is the whole system is likely to crash if I have a single other window open (one ssh terminal) when I click update. After I close the first error message, two more appear. The one in back has something like "system out of resources" and "sdupdate will now close," both in the same error box, I think. Sometimes I was able to close all the error messages by clicking them in quick succession. If closing just one error, another would appear in less than a second. Usually I find I can't click anything, although the mouse cursor still moves, and "close program" will not appear. Then I have to press the power button. Sometimes the computer shuts down immediately, while sometimes it has to be held in the normal amount of time.

Previously, with 1.4, Spybot rarely crashed. (AdAware does more often.) Maybe sometimes if I had say thunderbird, ssh, an avg scan running in the background, and maybe 15-20 web pages open in firefox. I suppose ME has a problem moving items fast enough from memory to virtual memory when a different application starts. However, 512 M ought to be plenty to run just spybot, teatimer, avg control center, zone alarm, and an ssh connection via dial-up.

Any suggestions? Maybe I could find something on the spybot forum.

David Chandler (rainbow_warrior)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:01 PM

Known issue with Spybot 1.5. Takes forever to load.
Lots of info about it on their fourms.
1.5.1.15 does te same thing. That is what I am running
1.5.1.16 is supposed to fix the issue but it is still in beta
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 rainbow_warrior

rainbow_warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:35 PM

Thanks eyesee

I noticed I had stopped getting the beta updates, but I get them again with 1.5. I had started getting an error message about beta near the start of every scan. The scan would wait for me to click ok and then continue. That problem disappeared. Also, I was getting "6 more immunizations possible" whenever I did recheck after immunizing. Then it changed recently to 5 more, and no longer comes up since I downloaded 1.5.

I did find a long page of 1.5 screenshots with comments on the side about the new features.

I guess I could use the executable update file at

http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files...sd_includes.exe

but it is twice as long as a typical update.

rainbow_warrior

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:35 PM

you might do better by reverting to the previous version?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:54 PM

I did. Went back to 1.4 until they get the bugs kicked out of 1.5.
1.4 worked perfectly for many years and is a tried and true product.

Theres a checkbox to download the beta updates. Not recommended for a while yet.

Personally, I absolutely love SuperAntiSpyware. That is my prefered spyware removal tool at this point.
www.superantispyware.com Certainly makes my job a lot easier!
I like the way it adds a Boot Safe option to its menu. Using it right now on an extensively infected computer.
Was the only way I could boot safe mode on this system I am working on as it entirely USB and I dont have a USB keyboard. Safe mode is the preferred way to clean a system anyway.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:05 PM

I am using spybot 1.5, works, does take a few seconds longer to load, also using superantispyware

I let spybot immunize and then tested for a few weeks, super is giving me clean scans now(few tracking cookies)

spybot kept deleting the wrong cookies

both found different malware I had on my system that norton's and trojanhunter missed
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users