Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping Hard Drives, Strange Problem.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 302Xplorer

302Xplorer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:59 AM

I have 2 computers, a HP 750n w/ a Pentium ® 4 1.6g and a HP 761c w/ a Pentium 4 1.9g and a busted HD.

I would like to take the HD from the 750n and use it in the 761c, but there is a problem.

Previous attempts to do so have yielded the following results:

I can take the HD from the 761c (before it was totally gone) and it would boot the 750n.
When I take the HD from the 750n and put it in the 761c all I get is a black prompt screen w/ a flashing cursor in the top left corner.

Anyone have any clue as to what the problem may be?

Here are the data sheets from each PC, if it is of any help.
750n
761c

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:33 PM

Is the drive detected in the bios? Are the jumpers set the same? If the drive is detected in the bios you may need to do a windows repair install. How To Perform a Windows Repair installation.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users