Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie7/outlook Freezes When Run First Time

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slurmalot

slurmalot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:07 AM

My computer freezes for 40-50 seconds when I run IE7 or Outlook Express the first time after a reboot. I think just the app freezes as I can still pull up the task manager most of the time. I have multiple accounts on the pc, but it only happens for the first user. It also only happens if you immediately launch those apps after you are logged in. If I wait a couple of minutes before or after logging in, it is fine. It is like the pc is not ready for an internet connection, but everything else is ready. This behavior just recently started. I don't see any processes hogging cpu cycles in my tasklist during the freeze

I recently made these changes :
Ran WinsockXPFix from this site: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html. I was having trouble with IE7 throwing an error on shutdown and thought that would fix it, but it did not.
I think the slowness started after I did this one above but not sure because I was doing this next thing about the same time:
Added a Linksys wireless G router (Using Ethernet to the pc in question though)
To get the router working I had to reboot the DSL modem and run this on the command line: netsh winsock reset

Tried this stuff:
I ran Adaware, Spybot S&D and found nothing unusual but some tracking cookies which i deleted. I also disabled Windows Defender, MSAutoUpdates to no effect.

I have XP home ed. SP2 with current updates.
CPU is P4 2.66ghz
memory= 1.256 gig
2 hard drives, DVD player, CD writer
I use Windows Firewall, Windwos Defender.
I have Bellsouth DSL
I have disabled services that I don't need
I have no virus scanner (I like to live dangerously!) but I tried and uninstalled AVG Free and Komodo firewall a few months ago (at the time I lacked memory - what a hog)
Any ideas? Thanks

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 08 October 2007 - 11:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 slurmalot

slurmalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:35 AM

Upon further testing, any app will freeze if run in the first minute after my desktop comes up.

After experimenting with shutting down services I determined that the "Workstation" service is involved in the issue. I have shut that off an now everything works with no delay after my desktop is up. Hope I don't need this service later on if I decide to do a home network. right now it is just this pc and a DSL modem and wireless router

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users