Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Best Way To Utilize My New External Hdd

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 wxp

wxp

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:49 AM

I have just bought a new Seagate USB external HDD 320 GB
And a copy of Acronis TI , ive now made a copy image of my system
and disconnected the external HDD from the computer.

Now the silly question Ö

My computer internal HDD ( 250GB ) has lots of free space

So now Iím just wondering now ive got my new Seagate
External HDD what can I use it for other than my computer
Back up plan, its just sitting there not being used until the next back up
Is done. Its seems a pity not to use it in some other way other than backing up
My computerÖ

Has any one got some interesting ideas, suggestions, thoughts, on the best way
To utilize my new external HDD better Ö?

wxp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:06 AM

I use my external hard drive to backup everything as well.

I however also use it to store all of my episodes of anime and movies.
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 wxp

wxp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:53 AM

Ive just realized that I have not partitioned my new external HDD. can any one please tell me the best way to
do this, my internal computer HDD is 250 GB. and I am running Windows XP.

Thank You .....

#4 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

May i ask why you want to partition you external drive?

You generally partition your drive because you want your system to be faster, or to have more than one operating system on your computer.

Please refer to the thread found here and see if you really do need to partition your drive.
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:49 PM

I look at partitioning pretty much like I look at the rest of my system. That is..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Partitioning may benefit you - but that's a personal decision that you'll have to make. I've got a bunch of hard drives in my house and only a few have more than one partition on them.

On my personal computer I have a drive with the Operating System on it - one partition. I have another drive with 2 partitions (one for the swap file and one for data). The reasons for this are several:
- Having the swap file on a separate drive helps to speed the system up because the system can access the swap file independently from the OS accesses
- Having the data on a separate drive helps to save my stuff if the operating system disk dies
- Imaging my OS disk with the pointers to the swap file and data files makes recovering the system easy - 20 minutes and I'm back up and running with only a few Windows Updates to make things current.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 wxp

wxp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:28 AM

Thanks for your answers , I think I will leave the External HDD with just one large partition
I was told by some friends it way normal to split an External HDD into several partitions,
but now reading the BC guide and your comments , I know more now .

Thank You

wxp

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:52 AM

You may need to format a file system for it if it has not already been done.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 wxp

wxp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Thanks for your advice ... dc3

ive not done any thing to the new external HDD, only used it to make a system backup
with Acronis TI, should I have formatted it ...? is it too late ..? what to do next ....?

thank you wxp

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 10 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

If you've already put an Acronis image on it, then it's already been formatted for you. Just FYI - if the image is spit into 4 gB chunks then drive is probably formatted with FAT32 - if the image is just one file larger than 4 gB, then it's likely that it's formatted with NTFS (most drives that I've seen recently come formatted with FAT32)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 wxp

wxp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:20 AM

Thanks usama ..

ive just checked the external HDD and its shown as... NTFS ..?

just had a though, could I use the external HDD tt try out Windows Vista
and leave my Windows XP , un touched..? , I would like to try out Vista
but have my original Windows XP there should I want to return to it, is this possible
and how would I go about doing it ..?

Thank You

wxp

#11 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2007 - 04:59 AM

ive just checked the external HDD and its shown as... NTFS ..?

That is great, it means the drive is already formatted :huh:

just had a though, could I use the external HDD tt try out Windows Vista and leave my Windows XP , un touched..

Yes you can. All you have to do is install Vista on the External Hard drive when you are selecting your installation location. You probably also need to select the 1st boot device when choosing whether to use Windows XP or Vista.

So install Vista by following the prompts and be sure to choose the right location. You will know which one is your hard drive because of the name.

Good luck :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users