Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Security Center

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:36 AM

My Vista machine has been running perfectly for weeks but suddenly I get warnings from the Security Center that my Kaspersky Internet Security 7 is not found and that Windows Defender is turned off. They are both running perfectly so why does the SC not recognise them?

I have run full AV scans without finding anything.

Any ideas?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:39 PM

Some AV software isn't supported officially by M$ or the AV vendor ergo it doesn't show up.

Basically the AV software would provide Registry key to announce itself to Vista, and Vista in turn is able to view
key details about the software. IE whether or not AV SOftware is running and installed on the PC. I wouldn't
worry as long as Kaspersky supports the Vista OS>

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:45 AM

XP's security center wouldn't recognize my antivirus program...or maybe it was my firewall. It's been awhile. Anyway, I just turned off the security center so it wouldn't bug me about it. I don't know if Vista will let you do that.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:26 AM

Go to Control Panel, then to Security Center
Click on Check Settings in the Malware Protection bar
Click on "Show me my available options"
Then click on "I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself"

That'll turn off the irritating prompts.
Then I'd suggest that you contact Kaspersky support for final resolution of the Security Center issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Supermart57

Supermart57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for the comments.

I have turned off the warnings in the security Center which at least gets rid of the irritation.

I also contacted Kaspersky who believe this is a problem created by a recent Windows Update! Apparently as long as there is an icon in the System Tray the AV is running.
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#6 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

This is correct sir.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users