Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 eminai

eminai

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:26 AM

Hi all
I am a rookie in this field and this is my first posting ever.
I need some help.
I have been using windows XP service Pack 2 on my laptop Dell Latitude C600.
My word documents got infected with viruses which my symantec v 10.0.1 anti virus i dentified as W32.Rungbu.C and another called Dizan.C

I was advised to update my virus definition files, disable system restore files then scan in safe mode and have them deleted by following instructions. However, after updating the virus definition files the laptop prompted a reboot which i did. The problem is that it does not complete the boot process, what happens is that before the desk top icons appear it displays the message "saving your settings then logs off, this happen over and over again". I have tried to boot from the CD drive, and at first it seemed successful but i did not achieve my mission. I tried it again however it has also since failed, it shows that some settings are invalid then authomatically boots from C again and the problem of cyclic failure to boot starts a fresh.

Can anyone help me? I need to get my course materials from this laptop or have i lost them. if the work is lost can someone advise on how to have the laptop formatted in that state so I can re install programmes.

Peace>>>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:28 AM

Hello eminai and :thumbsup: to Bleeping Computer.

Try booting your computer into Safe Mode. If you can get into Safe Mode, run a full scan with your Symantec Anti-Virus.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:04 AM

Disabling System Restore as the first step when attempting to clean a system or when scanning for malware is not advisable. Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors recommend disabling System Restore before attempting malware removal which is not a good practice when dealing with infected computer systems. Turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. Further, there is always a possibility of something going wrong during the malware removal process and you end up with more problems. Without a restore point to fall back on, you are then stuck with a limited means of restoring your system such as a Repair Install or Reformat. Although System Restore is not 100% guaranteed to work all the time, it at least gives you another option. When the system is clean, then you can create a new Restore Point and purge the old ones to prevent accidental re-infection.

Read "System Restore and malware removal - what is best practice?".

If you can boot in safe mode you can try using "Last Known Good Configuration" or System Restore from a command prompt in "SAFE MODE" to return to a previous state before your problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users