Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tankie P

Tankie P

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:49 AM

Hi all, not sure if this problem is for this forum or the AV forum but the result is my laptop won't start correctly. Laptop is Toshiba Satellite, Pentium 4, 2.80 Ghz CPU, Windows XP Home SP2 on WLAN.

After starting up AVG 7.5 ran full test. After 2 hrs 53 mins test froze. I tried to get the programme to close and got severe lag in clicking icons to something happening. I then noticed some pop ups which appeared then went. 'CallDispatch. exe', 'AVG ending programme' and 'Zonelab ending programme'. Both of these are my AV/Spyware that I run with Windows Defender.

The laptop will not now boot up and either gets as far as the welcome page where the progress bar continously cycles or it may eventually get past this to the user login, 'loading your personal settings' after putting in password. After that either my profile could not be loaded and system is loading me on the default setting (nothing happens!) or a warning saying that windows could not authenticate my windows version with a fault number 0x800703e7.

I have tried to reboot using last known good config in safe mode but as soon as I press return the screen scrolls down and displays something like' multidisk rdisk partition1 and a list of what looks like every driver on my laptop.

After that nothing.

Apologies for being longwinded but that's whats happened.

Any ideas???

Edited by Tankie P, 08 October 2007 - 09:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:12 AM

Since you can partially boot...I suggest running chkdsk /r on the partition from the Recovery Console. Chances seem to be that it's something (drivers, file corruption, etc.) that may be able to be repaired from the Recovery Console.

I usually try to eliminate possibilities before continuing and chkdsk /r is a basic step in doing so (for me).

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:28 AM

Were you able to open your OS in safe mode? If you can run AVG in safe mode and see what turns up, it sounds like you may be infected and running is safe mode is the best way to go after infections.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Tankie P

Tankie P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hi Louis and DC3,

I can select F8 then safe mode. It then takes me to login page. After I've put the password in a msg states- User environment, cannot load users profile but has logged on with default profile. Press OK and takes me back to Black safe mode screen and that's as far as it gets, I can't do anything else.

Louis, I'm not sure how to access the recovery console so don't know how to do the chkdsk.

P

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,882 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:41 AM

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp....very%20Console:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users