Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scientist Creates Artificial Life Form.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:40 AM

Guardian
Craig Venter, the controversial DNA researcher involved in the race to decipher the human genetic code, has built a synthetic chromosome out of laboratory chemicals and is poised to announce the creation of the first new artificial life form on Earth.

The announcement, which is expected within weeks and could come as early as Monday at the annual meeting of his scientific institute in San Diego, California, will herald a giant leap forward in the development of designer genomes. It is certain to provoke heated debate about the ethics of creating new species and could unlock the door to new energy sources and techniques to combat global warming.
-------------------------------------------------------
This Technology really worries me. To me, creating life forms could have disastrous repercussions on the Human Race, as we know it.
I can accept Cloning and Growing Body Parts,however I think this Technology is going too far.IMHO.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2007/oct...s.climatechange

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 08 October 2007 - 11:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:05 AM

Yeah, I can see where a "created" lifeform would have to be controlled.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:18 AM

Wait, you mean, this lifeform didn't just suddenly randomly appear out of nothing while the scientists sat and waited?

He had to create it, using elements already in existence?

:thumbsup:

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:23 AM

An interesting concept, the ability to use this as a tool to reduce carbon dioxide and convert sugars to fuels such as propane and butane. I think it's a little early to start thinking about scenarios like the Island of Dr. Moreau. On the other hand Pat Mooney points out that this could also be used to produce bio-weapons, now our government wouldn't try anything like that...would they? :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

Wait, you mean, this lifeform didn't just suddenly randomly appear out of nothing while the scientists sat and waited?

They couldn't think of a way to kill three billion years. So they did it themselves.

#6 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:38 AM

They couldn't think of a way to kill three billion years. So they did it themselves.

Time shouldn't be a factor Matt. You know better than that.

Time doesn't dictate a beginning. :thumbsup:

#7 Rainbow32

Rainbow32

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 05:59 PM

Can't say I'm too elated to hear about this after the let down of the cloning thing.
Really thought there would be 2 or more of me to share the load by now. :thumbsup:

#8 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2007 - 05:20 PM

I know this isn't quite the same thing but it would be incredible if 'real' arms and legs or spinal cords could be 'grown' and transplanted onto those who need them.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#9 seafox14

seafox14

• Members
  • 266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

Interesting article. I find it interesting that no one is pointing out that the chromosome that was created required an intelligent being to put it together instead of letting it appear by random chance. Score one fore the I.D. crowd and creationist crowd. Notice that the scientist is trying to imitate an already existing organism instead of designing a new one from scratch. Because of this and the fact that the scientist is still using the chemical elements that God created instead of making his own (that would be a truly amazing accomplishment) keeps this from being called truly artificial in my book.

Nice try, but the scientist is also going to have to put the chromosome into a bacterial cell that is already alive to mutate the existing bacteria into a different one based on the created chromosome. science may have progressed to the point of making the building blocks of life or manipulating the ones that are already there, but they still cannot make there creation live without using something that is already alive as a host. they still cannot create that vital spark that is true life. So in essence, all that is being created are parasites because they still have to take over the life of the host organism in order to live. I say that this alone is proof of the power and knowledge and glory of God who created all things. Weather that creation chooses to admit it or not.

Seafox14
5 So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with sexual immorality, impurity, lust, and evil desires. Donít be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world

#10 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

The argument that because we aren't technologically able to do something that nature has already done doesn't mean that there is a God. It just means we have more to learn about nature. At various points throughout history humanity has been unable to create the following:
fire
thermonuclear fusion
Nuclear fission
light (artificially)
all of which exist naturally (mostly in stars for the above examples).

And don't forget beer. We couldn't make that for a while (but somehow it was one of the earliest inventions in history...)

Anyone believing in I.D. needs to explain the platypus.

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

As for the "philosophical" idea behind creating a life form by humans;

What if we accidentally create something smarter than us? What if it has the capabilities to out power, and out smart us?

#12 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

While this is just a primitive life form we should prepare for the future
Please note this is wayyyyyyyyyy down the road:

should these life forms be granted citizenship?
should they have the same rights as us?
what about a possibility of hybridization?
any weaknesses to specific coumpounds/elements?
Are there any genetic problems?
How will it think?
Research capabilities?
Why create artificial life? if we can't take care of ourselvs and our habitat (earth) how can we say we are responsible enough to create a new type of lifeform, that we won't know much about?

We spend money all the time waging wars over dumb reasons such as religions/land disputes, meanwhile our sun and earth rot away slowly each year, and the world can't agree on basic things such as human rights, animal protection/rescue, ocean preservation.yet we the very cancer of this planet, believe we can create life?
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#13 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:48 PM

Posted Image

#14 lost_case

lost_case

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:40 AM

I can accept Cloning and Growing Body Parts,however I think this Technology is going too far.

I agree! Science is definitely going too far, when mother nature gets angry because we disturb her balance, we will be punished!
People live to learn, and learn to live...

#15 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2007 - 07:56 AM

It reminds me of George Carlin's view on the "Save the Planet" movement:

"The planet's just fine! The people are ****ed"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users