Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally My First Build!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:18 AM

After building my own computer has been one of my life goals, its finally coming true! I've built a couple for friends, but it's still not the same :huh: . It's nothing great, but I can't afford much.
Well heres the specs:

Apevia Case ---60$

XFX Motherboard ---100$

Team Elite ram---31$

Power Supply --- 40$ (free shipping!)

x1900GT ---90$

Grand total was a couple dollars under 350$ (after shipping)

I have a DVD burner/player, I'm using my hard drive and windows xp from this computer, and my friends giving me an old pentium 4 3.0ghz with hyper threading. I plan on eventually getting a Q6600.

I figured this would work out, but the Pentium 4 only has 800mhz fsb I believe. The board supports Pentium 4, but the fsb is 1333/1066. This should still work right? Does it end up underclocking my system, or would I have to overclock the Pentium 4 to 1066 fsb?

I know the ram is kind of crappy, but I ordered the stuff yesterday, and this morning I received an e-mail that the wintec ampo (good brand, have it in this computer now) was out of order, after I had ordered it. I had to stay under 350$ so I got that cheap ram. It seems like it should work though. I also might try overclocking my processor in a few weeks if everything seems stable. It will be my first time though, so I got some reading to do!

I also like how Newegg is sending some of my stuff through Canada already. I think this is so the don't have Columbus day off (or do they celebrate Columbus Day :thumbsup: ) . Anyways Canada is closer to where I live then New Jersey.

Any feedback is great, I'm pretty sure everything should work fine together. Thanks for reading this!

Edited by Sterling14, 08 October 2007 - 04:23 AM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

When you take a hdd out of one system and install it in another with a different motherboard there are usually problems, this can in some cases be repaired with the repair console, but in most cases you will need to reinstall the OS. This article explains it further if you are interested.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:58 PM

Overclocking and budget minded should read This article. 80% gain over stock

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +