Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Sure What To Do.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 -Tarra-

-Tarra-

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:09 AM

I have a very small hard drive.
So me and my family think it may be time for a new one.

We don't know if we should get an external HD or a new one put inside our computer.

However
We have a few concerns so we are trying to find out as possible.
So we have some questions and we are in need of some answers.

what are the risks associated with getting a new HD?

" Your Pretty Face Is Going To Hell " (: .

EVEN THE GARDEN OF EDEN WAS JUST A BIG FANCY CAGE.
YOU'LL BE A SLAVE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IF YOU DON'T BITE THE APPLE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:51 AM

Hi -Tara-, You didn't mention what kind of computer you have, if it's a laptop you will either want to replace the internal hdd or add an external USB hdd. If it's a PC you should see if the is a free bay in the case to install another, if there is you can connect th new hdd either as the slave drive, format it and use it for storage, or connect it as the master and install the OS on it and transfer the information from one drive to the other by copy and paste or drag and drop.

Here is a tutorial for installing a hdd and setting the jumpers, this is for a IDE connection only, not for SATA hdds.

If you have something different let us know what you have.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 -Tarra-

-Tarra-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

I have a PC.

I also need to ask this.
Since our computer was built custom by us and we have none of the program CDs so we really can't reinstall, would we be better of with an external HD?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:50 AM

Just install it as an internal slave drive and you won't need to install the OS, Just use it for storage. You will need to format and partition the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 -Tarra-

-Tarra-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 05:50 AM

So I could keep all my programs on this drive and say, move music, photos, videos, games to that side?

also. how much will this drive cost me?

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

You may keep Windows and your applications on the original hard drive, and use the new (slave) hard drive for storage of documents, pictures, songs, backups of programmes and applications, etc.
The price of a new hard drive will depend on its storage capacity, which in turn will depend on how you use your computer and your anticipated storage needs. I have checked Newegg (an on-line supplier) for prices (internal HDs are less expensive than external). There, you can get a good brand 80Gig for under 50 dollars US and double that size for under 80. These prices are in line with those of Staples, BestBuy, or Walmart.

Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:35 PM

Another approach is to clone the current drive to a new larger one and resize partitions on it if wanted. When up and running you can format the current one and use it for backup or whatever.

The free CopyWipe can to the cloning (and include resizing I think). If it cant resize then this can be done secondarily with its cousin BootIt-NG or with the linux PM clone GParted on a Live CD.

#8 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:35 PM

I have a PC.

I also need to ask this.
Since our computer was built custom by us and we have none of the program CDs so we really can't reinstall, would we be better of with an external HD?

Before figuring out a new hdd, I think you should get really serious about making an image backup the system you have now to cd or dvd. If something messes up as your doing all this other stuff, you won't have anything to fall back on to reinstall, period.

#9 -Tarra-

-Tarra-
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:03 PM

Thanks everyone for the response :D I appreciate it alot.

I have a REAL problem with doing an image back up system. I don't have a burner so could I go about doing this with a USB flash drive?

#10 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 11:58 PM

Hello -Tarra-,

Because you have a HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

This topic will now be closed, since you have an open log posted.
If you have any questions, feel free to send me a PM.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users