Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron Laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 uuumhelp

uuumhelp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:11 AM

laptop has a start up password protection, I have divorced my wife and she left it like this, and we don't talk at all so right now I have a paperweight, I heard there is a utility that will bypass this or reset it, and was curious if there was any help out there.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 03:22 AM

Try booting into Safe Mode and creating a new user account. Another thing you could do is to format and reinstall the operating system.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode
How to log on to your Windows XP-based computer if you forget your password or if your password expires

If that doesn't work then I'm sorry, but we can't help you. As per the forum rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

Edit: Added link to Microsoft article

Edited by Budapest, 08 October 2007 - 03:37 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Cyb3r_Ninj@

Cyb3r_Ninj@

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

If you have another computer that you can work with, you can purchase or borrow a USB-IDE external hard drive reading device - i'd lean towards purchasing since you may need it in the future and you can always use it as a backup external hard drive. Unscrew the hard drive from the laptop, unscrew the hard drive from the hard drive tray assembly and insert it into the USB-IDE external device.

Connect the USB-IDE external hard drive device that into the USB port on a desktop computer or another laptop computer. Copy any files that you want to rescue or save from the laptop's hard drive. Then once you have saved any files you wish to save, keep the USB-IDE external device connected and format your hard drive through the alternate computer. After you have formatted the hard drive via the USB-IDE external device, you should be able to reinstall Windows on the hard drive. Remove the hard drive from the USB-IDE device and re-insert it into the laptop chassis.

Re-install Windows XP.

Edited by Cyb3r_Ninj@, 05 December 2007 - 06:35 PM.

Bill Gates recognizes the skills... so i suggest you start there and recognize them too...
:: digital.ronin ::

| MCP - ID 5646435, other certifications pending... |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users