Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Easy Way To Check For Defective Cd Rom Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

Is there an easy way to check if I have a bad cd rom drive. Perhaps a free program that can test my optical device?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:02 AM

If the computer is able to boot from CD, set the CD as the first boot device in the BIOS setup, and try to boot from any bootable CD - eg a Windows installation CD, or a Linux Live CD such as often appear as computer magazine coverdisks.

This reveals whether the drive can read the disk correctly. No complicating issues such as Windows are involved.

If the drive can't read the disk to boot, then it is faulty, although this may be as simple as the laser lens needing to be cleaned.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:51 PM

I failed at 3 attempts to install windows. I tried my disc on an old drive I installed in the same machine and it worked ok. I tested the drive and the disc using Nero disk speed. I also tested my 3 other drives that I use in other computers. The one in question shows up as really bad and slow in Nero. The other 3 drives all are able to read the windows disc, however even they have problems reading the disc.
I tested the disc for quality and it shows up as questionable. I ran the disc quality (scan disc) test in all 4 drives and I get 4 different results on the windows disc. By far the worst result is with my bad drive and the nero test shows a lot of bad data that can not be read or corrected and this makes sense since this drive will not install the OS. It always loads the windows files to about 43% and then freezes with an error display. I am still working these test results using another windows disc to see if I get different results. I question the accuracy of this Nero test because it seems the result all depends on which drive I am using--4 drives = 4 different answers. This bad drive is 10 years old. Perhaps its time to replace it. Does the laser wear out? Would you know the proper way to clean a laser lens and a cd? Could I use a little soap and water on a cd to remove the grease and prints?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:24 PM

Wipe the CD from the center hole outward, not in a circular motion. Usually wherever CD's are sold they sell a CD cleaner. It's a disk with small brushes on it that spin against the lens
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:29 AM

Not sure if you can still buy them but there used to be CD lense cleaners for your drive. These were a bit hit and miss for their effectiveness but its worth a try. If that doesen't work and your able to, purchase a new drive there relatively cheap nowadays.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users