Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Not Regognized By Bios

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:29 PM

Symptoms:

My computer occasionally freezes solid, I have to use the reset button.

About half the time, the BIOS does not recognize the first HD (Device 0, Channel 0) on bootup. Never fails to recognize the second HD which is installed as slave on the same channel.

Nonetheless, SeaTools -- it's a Seagate 300 gig PATA -- gives the HD a clean bill of health mechanically. It does report problems with the file system, which is NTFS BTW. This is confirmed by chkdsk -- I ran it from recovery console and it gave up at 75 percent, saying "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems."

I slaved the drive into my son's PC. It showed up fine. However, I have only booted his computer up a couple of times with the problem drive installed. The entire directory tree is there and readable. I have copied all the vital data to DVDs.

I ran memtest86+ on my PC, four passes, no errors.

Seems to me the preponderance of evidence is that the drive is going bad, but then there's SeaTools saying the beast is mechanically sound.

I would appreciate the advice and/or observations of you pros out there. If I brought this thing into your shop, what would you do with it?

TIA --

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:56 AM

I would check the connection of the IDE cable first, if it still fails I would try a new IDE cable. Seagate's diagnostic tool is usually correct.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for the advice dc3. I'll try a different IDE cable and see what happens.

Dave

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:37 PM

It detects the second drive on the channel have you tried that drive as the primary, could be a IDE controller going on you. and only detecting the second drive.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hi Sneakycyber,

Thanks for the reply.

Frankly, a failing mobo is exactly what I was thinking, assuming that the SeaTools diagnostic was telling the truth.

It still might be part of the problem, I'm not sure yet.

For dc3 and everybody -- I have done some cleaning and repairs, replaced the IDE cable, and I hope it's cured.

The repair was replacing the Power Supply in my case. It occurred to me that one reason a drive might not be detected is that it wasn't spinning up. So I had a look at the PSU and found it almost clogged with dirt. Opened it up and found splotches of melted plastic or some such material spattered on some of the components. Also three small capacitors with bulging tops, one of which had clearly leaked.

Having replaced the PSU, I'm going to use the computer for a few days and see how it behaves.

Any further comments or advice are very welcome.

Thanks again,

Dave

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 12:58 AM

A bad PSU can stop things in their tracks, good find. Let us know if you have any other problems. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

In general , there's several things to consider with a drive diagnostic:
- Mechanical integrity
- Sector integrity (IMO this is a mechanical fault of a part of the hard drive platter - although it does skirt the edge of the definition).
- File system integrity.

For example, if you've got a drive filled with bad files - it won't do anything but it may test out just fine
You may have a bad sector or two - and the files in there will be bad also
Or you may have a hardware failure - and all the good files in the world won't help it then.

If SeaTools says it's OK - then it's likely to be OK. But that doesn't mean that the file structure is OK (and this, again, is where sector integrity skirts the edge of the definition). Chkdsk and similar tools will help fix these errors - but the surest fix is a format of the hard drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Hi Usasma, thanks for your explanation and comments.

When I first posted, I forgot to mention that when I installed this drive (about 11 months ago) I did not do a clean install of XP -- I used the Seagate software to "migrate" from my old 40 gig HD. I don't recall exactly how I did it, but it wasn't a straight "cloning" operation. I made the partitions on the new drive different sizes from those on the old. The old system partition was 15 or 20 gig, the new one is 40. The old data partition was around 20, the new one is 260. Would/could this discrepancy create a file system error?

Right now the drive seems to be working just fine and all files on both partitions seem to be okay. I'm reluctant to go through the tedium of a fresh XP install but if you think there's trouble ahead, please let me know.

Dave

<edited to correct spelling>

Edited by DaveM59, 09 October 2007 - 07:35 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

It seems that my "theme" today is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" - and I'd suspect that that would be the case here. If everyting is working find, I'd just ensure that you've got everything backed up and then wouldn't worry about it further.

As for the previous install - if it hasn't caused problems over the last year or so - then that's probably not the problem. Since the Slave drive is recognized, I wouldn't think that the mobo is an issue - rather that it's either a cable issue or an issue with the drive itself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:38 AM

Hi Usasma,

Thanks again for your help.

To bring you up to date, I am now convinced that the PSU was the problem.

Since I installed the new power supply the computer has continued to perform flawlessly.

I did some searching on the web and learned how to set chkdsk to run on bootup. It repaired a few files -- successfully, it reported.

Cheers,

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users