Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Channel Memory

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phoenix_124

phoenix_124

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Hi,
I have four slots for memory for my PC. 2X 512MB RAM is preinstalled leaving 2 more slots. Does that mean that I can have 2X 512MB RAM and 2X 1GB = 3GB RAM and yet get the most proformance out of it. Or is is that I have to get them all to be identical (4X 512MB or replace 2X512MB with 4X1GB?)?
I'm not nessesarily upgrading to that amount, but it could be revelent infomation for the future.
Thanks!
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

They do not HAVE to be installed in pairs, but it is better if you do so.

Ex. 512MB x2 + 1024MB x2

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:08 PM

In order to run in dual channel your modules have to have the exact same specs, they can be of different manufacturers but you will need to populate the expansion slot with the same amounts of RAM. Slot 1 and 3 has 512MB modules, if you put a 1GB module in slot 2 you will want to put a 1GB module in slot 4.

There are those that will tell you that you don't have to have "matched" pairs to run in dual channel, but if you do manage to get it working with mismatched modules the performance may not be much more appreciable than running in single channel, if you plan on using this computer on anything that is demanding then you will start to notice problems. You get what you pay for.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 phoenix_124

phoenix_124
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:25 PM

But how about in different speeds? For example: if the pair of 512 Mb were 400 Mhz, while 1 GB pair were 600Mhz. Will that reduce proformance or the system will only use 400Mhz of the 600?
Ginuine Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005
AMD 64 X2 1GB RAM 2.00GHz

Please note that I will try my best to assist you in this regard...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users