Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computing Processing Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spigon

Spigon

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

Can anyone tell me which program/processes is not needed or which one is essential to my computer performance. Lastly you can tell me what each processes does.
Cidaemon.exe
RUNDLL32.EXE (1,028k)
ctfmon.exe
TeaTimer.exe
RUNDLL32.EXE (564k)
Zlclient.exe
jusched.exe
IPodService.exe
avgcc.exe
ITuneHelper.ece
realsched.exe
ccApp.exe
WebTrapNT.exe
Pop3trap.exe
sgbhp.exe
alg.exe
SNDSrvc.exe
iexplore.exe
nvsvc32.exe
svchost.exe (1,060k)
cisvc.exe
ccSetMgr.exe
avgemc.ece
svchost.exe (1,288k)
NPFMntor.exe
svchost.exe (1,048k)
sgmain.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
spoolsv.exe
taskmgr.exe
SMSS.EXE
ccEvtMgr.exe
Explorer.EXE
Tmntsrv.exe
symlcsvc.exe
vsmon.exe
svchost.exe (56k)
SPBBCSvc.exe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:36 PM

Since you are the only one who knows what you want running on your machine. You have to determine this for yourself. At he very top of this page and every page are tabs. Two of which will be quite useful to decipher this table for yourself. click on the 'Startup List' Tab, there is a dialog box. Enter each item in there and it will tell you what that entry is. You decide if you need it or not. If it does not find that entry save it and when you have a few that might not be found. Then go to the 'File Database' Tab. these entries not found in start up, you can then further research here. After you have determined which ones you need and which ones you don't need. Start a new topic in the appropriate OS forum and we can help you from there. But do this only after you have done your research and found out what each item is for yourself.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Spigon

Spigon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:40 PM

I can't seem the find Explorer.EXE anywhere not even on the web any advice? P.S. it wont let me delete nortons processes.

Edited by Spigon, 07 October 2007 - 07:41 PM.

#4 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:56 PM

Explorer.exe is basically the shell of Windows, so the task bar, desktop etc.

However, some trojans can use explorer.exe to do their bidding. If there is a trojan however, there should be another process indicating so.

I suggest you not stop the process though, as you will basically have no shell on your computer.

Here are a few threads describing what Explorer.exe is:
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/explorer/
http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/explorer.exe.html
www.pcreview.co.uk/startup/explorer.exe.php
www.auditmypc.com/process/explorer.asp

Hope this info helps :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:16 PM

File database entry here at bleeping computer. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/filedb/explorer.exe-39.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users