Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet connections

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:46 PM

ok, gang....looks like we're moving BACK to the toolies...actually, if we get the house i want....we'll be on the top of a mountain..with 360 degree views! it's totally awesome!!

however, as to internet..... :thumbsup: i'm not even sure some of the neighbors (whom i can't even see) know of it's existence.

it kind of leaves me with only ONE choice.......yup, satellite. does anyone know anything about satellite 'net? i've been doing some googling..and trying to do some research..but this "one way satellite" and "two way satellite" have me baffled. most of it is in computerese...rather than bc.com speak. about the only thing i DID find out is that, after their up front cost of purchasing their equipment....it costs no more than my cable 'net, per month! and actually, since there's no phone lines up there.....their up front cost is no more than the expense of putting in phone lines...which i don't need, since my cell works crystal clear up there (no obstruction tween us and the cell tower!).

so point me in the right direction, any of you who have dealt with satellite companies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,714 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2005 - 02:31 PM

Give me a website for a particular company you are looking at and I will explain the terminology. I think i know but want to confirm

#3 Notorious

Notorious

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2005 - 09:56 AM

One I found looks interesting.. It's StarBand 481 Residential high-speed Internet. Starters fee is quite expensive, but if you take three year contract, it gets as cheap as cable.
Further you have to keep in mind that installing the dish isn't that easy as it looks. You have to know that high microwave frequency (uplinking) is quite dangerous, so you will have to install the dish someplace where nobody can come into beam pathway.
The view from the dish to the satellite should be clear of obstruction and the possibility of people, vehicles, animals, trees etc getting in the way of the beam. The radio power transmitted out of the feed is comparable to that from several cell phones and the head, eyes etc should not be put at the feed opening or between the feed and the dish.
So If your hubby isn't that handy, I'd recommend you let professional do the installing, positioning and finaly finding right satellite. :thumbsup:

Here is StarBand address..
In case your hubby IS handy, lemme know so I can help you with installing the dish.. I'm real good at it.. :flowers:
Posted Image

Down in the bayou, Bubba called an attorney and asked, "Is it true they're suin' the cigarette companies for causing people to get cancer?
"Sure is Bubba. But why you asking?"
"Cause what I want to know is, I was thinking, can I sue Budweiser for all them ugly women I've slept with?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users