Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Radeon Video Card Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frankblourtango

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:12 PM

I got the driver for my Radeon 9600 card and installed it every which way I know how and it still doesn't work. So I'll be buying another video card.

I did an upgrade of my XP SP2 with Vista Business.

Edited by frankblourtango, 07 October 2007 - 05:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:39 PM

Since the early betas, I have been running an ATI 9600 pro. In the early days it gave some hangups. Since ATI/Award began to update their drivers to Vista (check the makers site) I have had no discernable problems. Their latest update, including the catalyst suite, is 7.9 ?

#3 I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 09:48 PM

Upgrade from XP to Vista Business...personally, I prefer clean installs, as they are much more reliable and pretty much eliminate any compatibility problems. It sounds to me that you still have the XP drivers lurking on your system as they were not properly removed and upgraded to the Vista versions before you did the Windows upgrade.

First, are you using an AGP or PCi, PCi Express? Check the documentation or the box that your card came in.

If it's an AGP, then you must update your motherboard drivers first. Find out the manufacturer of your motherboard and chipset. Make sure you install the latest drivers.

Then remove the Radeon drivers completely following the instructions in the guide or from HERE:
http://www.tweakxp.com/article37536.aspx (it's for XP but should be fine for Vista as well)

If, after you uninstall the ATI driver, Windows may nag you to install the standard VGA device. Click NO (you may have to do this twice). You will then see a note that the device has not been configured properly...you can ignore that.

Download the latest driver from the ATI website that is for Vista compatibility, install and reboot the computer to see if it resolves your problem. If you're installing the entire Catalyst Suite, make sure you have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed.

If this doesn't solve your problem, then find out if you already have an integrated video card on your board. If this is the case, then you need to boot into the BIOS and find an option that allows you to use an added video card if it exists in the slot instead of the built in one. Save your settings and reboot.

Good luck. :huh:

#4 frankblourtango

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:00 AM

Well here is what the problem was. I had an older ATI card in the machine so that I could use two monitors when it was an XP. It was a Radeon 7550 I believe, just a junk card that was laying around.

It was the only video adapter working when I booted up Vista, so I kept using it thinking I'd be running blind without it.

So yesterday when my brand new Radeon 1050X wouldn't work either I was sitting there on the floor looking forlornly into the case when I noticed the ATI sticker on the older card. I had one of those dimwitted revelations: "Say, what if I take that old card out and see what happens if I boot up with just the new one in there? Since I'm about ready to call for an RMA number anyway..."

That was the problem. Somehow the older ATI was mucking up the driver install for the newer cards.

Also with the 1050X I can run two monitors off just the one card.

Now I'll torture myself by trying to put the 9600 in my Ubutu box.

Edited by frankblourtango, 09 October 2007 - 10:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users