Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Routing Server!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 spearball

spearball

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:04 PM

Hi guys,

I am currently trying to setup a routing server with windows server 2003 and routing and remote access and using it as a dns at the same time for my network. I tried and tried but no luck at all. At this point i don't know what to do.
I don't understand what i am supposed to do in order to get my main internet line from my modem out of my seconds NIC on the router PC and then to my network. My ip address from my modem is dynamic (it should be). But how can i fix a static ip for my network if the main one is dynamic? As for the dns, i configured the dns service in windows but i don't know what to do after that.

Again my setup is.... Modem ---> Routing/DNS/Firewall Server ---> Switch/Wireless Access Point ---> Other PC's

Thanks all i'll appreciate it :thumbsup:
And for the ones who are wondering why i am trying to do this...... I just really am trying to learn networking one step at a time...... I started from simply networking different computers together with just a switch, now i am trying to understand this.

Edited by spearball, 07 October 2007 - 04:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gothmog

Gothmog

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 07:25 PM

...how can i fix a static ip for my network if the main one is dynamic?

First I would rename the 2 connections in Control Panel>Network Connections to Internal and External to avoid confusion, if you haven't already. Then I would go to the properties on External and then Choose Properties for TCP/IP. Set that to Dynamic (Obtain IP address automatically) and then go to the TCP/IP options on Internal in the same fashion and set your static internal network IP(usually 192.168.1.x/24 or 10.10.10.x/24 or any other Publicly reserved network space)

I believe this will give you a default route to your ISP thru the external NIC and when you set your clients to use the router server as the default gateway it should send all internet traffic out the external NIC.

As for the dns, i configured the dns service in windows but i don't know what to do after that.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to host your own internal DNS zone? or are you just trying to forward your network's DNS query's to your ISP?

Also, will you be setting up DHCP on your RRAS server to pass out all the config info to clients?

Edited by Gothmog, 08 October 2007 - 07:27 PM.

#3 spearball

spearball
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:08 AM

Yes im trying to host my own DNS zone for the internal network but i don't know how to do so.

As for the DHCP i won't be using that. I want to assign static ip addresses to all computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users