Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Introduction w/ question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xandr

Xandr

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

java script:emoticon(':)')
smilie

Hello; I am Xandr, was led to your forum because of problems with viruses. I am a beginner on computing of a PC. I am an artist and all of my previous experience has been with Macintosh Computer. I am trying hard to learn but its a new PC experience for me. I have never had to deal with viruses and malicious hackers/advertisers.

My question which I am trying to resolve with some logic has been evasive ot say the least. I recently purchase a second harddrive for my PC and disabled the previous one still installed on the PC. Thinking I can reinstall the System XP Pro, on the new drive and later move my previous files over to the new drive and use the previous drive as addiitional memory. In doing so I encounter a barrage of virus atttacks wihich just kept coming in spite of sunning spyware/virsus utilities over and over and over again when they reappear. Have not suddessfully accomplish to date. But I do not understand how to stop the attacks. My thinking is that if I reinstall the again after reinitalizing the new drive I may be able to prevent the problem from occurring by not attempting to enter the Web until I have all secutity in place. I plan to leave the modem unp;ugged while reinstalling. I wonder if someone might make some suggestion as I venture forth in this attempt. The Software that I am presently using to no avail are Spybot Search and Destroy, Spy Sweeper, Microsofts beta 1 Spyware app, SpyBlaster, Spybot and Adware.

I will attempt to secure my install by checking perference that may cause open holes such as disablling Java scripts, setting firewall, and isolating cookie downloads to prompt before downloads. Well I am getting frustrated at all the steps that are envolve in this process and wish it were made more user friendly. Hope to be an contributing peer in future for now I am humbled to be at your behest. Thanks for listening. Xandr

Mod Edit: This will be moved to a more appropriate Forum. As this forum is for introductions alone.

Edited by scarlett, 11 February 2005 - 03:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:45 PM

Hello Xandr

The thing is that all of those nasty critters hide in System Restore.
What you must do is scan in safe mode. Get rid of all those unwanted pests. Then disable and enable your system restore.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Windows XP System Restore Guide

Excerpt from Bleeping Computers Windows XP System Restore Guide:

Problems with System Restore

There are some problems associated with System Restore when it comes to viruses. When restore points are created they are stored in a directory that is accessible only to the System account and not to a user. This keeps the restore points safe from misuse and tampering. Unfortunately this also means that any virus scan software you may have installed can not scan the files located there as well. This causes a problem if a file that is infected with a virus gets backed up into a restore point because now the anti-virus software can not clean it. Now if you ever restore from a restore point, that file that is infected will be introduced back into your system.

With this in mind, if you find that you are infected with a virus, hijacker, or spyware and want to make sure you do not get reinfected if you restore a restore point, you should turn System Restore off and then back on again to clear all the restore points. This will guarantee that their are no infected files that could be restored.

Edited by scarlett, 14 February 2005 - 06:42 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:35 AM

Here you will find all the info you need to protect and secure your computer.

Simple Steps to Keep Your Computer Secure!

If you apply these steps. And excercise caution while surfing the web. Your troubles should be few. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users