Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Up And Trojans

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 EscalatorKid

EscalatorKid

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:04 PM

I have Windows XP on a Dell XPS400, that's about a year and a half old. I have Avast as my antivirus, and have run Ad-Aware, CCleaner, and ScanDisk a few times in the past day. (Avast, Ad-Aware, and Ccleaner are all in their latest versions) I use both FireFox and IE6 because IE7 is incompatible with my college's website.

I got home from work yesterday evening, and I went to check email before going out, and I noticed that Avast needed to restart my computer. I foolishly ignored it, since I had to rush out, and then I had forgotten about it when I came home.

I got home, and then I noticed that I had the "Internet Speed Monitor" on my computer last night, I went to delete it. I did the Add/Remove Programs application in Control Panel, and then it was gone. I was surfing the internet, and I noticed some rather provocative banner ads and such on websites for which the ads are highly inappropriate. This has to be related to the junk on my computer because there are never (or, very extremely rarely) "webcam girls" and "find sex grrls" ads on news websites or teen/student websites.

When I got home, I got on the computer. After that, Avast alerted me of viruses being detected. I used the "Delete" option, and then it kept coming up. I clicked "delete" for the six or so warnings that Avast popped up. Since it was last night, I don't remember exactly what the viruses were, other than they were put in the category of "Trojan/Worm". Something happened, and I could not restart.

My computer has been running strangely, slowly, and just will not cooperate ever since. I let the Avast scan run overnight, but when I woke up this morning, I checked it and it was still running, but it had stopped towards the end of the scan. From that point on, I could move my mouse around the screen, but nothing was clickable. I tried to hit the "Desktop" shortcut to minimize the Avast window, but it just froze at that point. The taskbar stayed up, instead of hiding itself, and I was unable to move anything but the mouse. The taskbar then disappeared partially-- the Start button, the shortcut icons, and everything just disappeared, leaving holes in the blue taskbar. (I'm not sure if this helps any, but I mightaswell describe it as best I can.)

I restarted it with the button on the front of the tower, and then decided (after CheckDisk ran automatically for ten minutes upon restart) to run Adaware, CCleaner, and then Add/Remove, and then another Ccleaner run after I deleted a slew of unused, space-absorbing programs.

Finally, I decided to let Avast Run overnight, and immediately upon starting the scan, there were four pop-ups from Avast alerting me of viruses/trojans. So, I know they're there, but they won't let me delete or move them to the chest.

This morning, I noticed that the Avast Scan had stalled on a file later in the scan, but it persisted that it was "still scanning". (The screensaver and sleep/hibernate option has stopped working by itself).

I had to restart it by pushing the button on the front. When it restarted, I could check the internet for ten minutes (or less) and then it froze up. When I hit ctrl-alt-del, nothing happens. I can hit it multiple times, and the window never pops up. It just quits responding. All the windows I'm using freeze up, the taskbar holes appear, nothing happens, and then I have to hit the button on the front of the computer to restart it.

I decided to switch to Firefox instead of I.E. The same exact thing happens. I ran ScanDisk, and did a DeFragment, but the DeFragment application said that it was unnecessary. It then stalled and froze again.

I have to use the family computer on the same network in order to even write here right now, but I need to know where I can go and what I need to do from here. I am going to attempt to do scans in Safe Mode, and hopefully, I might get something fixed, but I doubt it will fix it all. The trojans will still be there.

I know I didn't explain the problem so well, but your help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,088 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

Scanning with Avast in safe mode is a good idea.
Here is another program that has had success in removing many malware programs.

Install Super Antispyware free. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Post a Hijack This Log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post a log in this forum. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If you provide us with more info on what the programs are removing or finding, we may be able to guide you further. Otherwise, follow the directions for posting a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum. NOT in this forum.

Edited by buddy215, 07 October 2007 - 03:38 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 EscalatorKid

EscalatorKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:38 PM

My Avast scan had found a Trojan Horse, but the Virus Chest is not working on me, suddenly. It said it was deleted, and its name was a short word beginning with "da". Not that this helps, but I didn't write it down.

SuperAntiSpyware quarantined and deleted 5 items; one was a Hijack.Browser/ISM.

Unfortunately, I am unable to even USE HijackThis. I did run and save a logfile and was trying to open internet, and then it froze up again. The only thing I know that is on the HJT log is "whataboutadog.com".

As soon as the computer rebooted from the SuperAntiSpyware run, I have been unable to click anything; I get an hourglass whenever I go to the taskbar, and nothing happens.

#4 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:44 PM

Try doing everything in safe mode as buddy215 suggested if you haven't.

Reboot into Safe Mode by continuously tapping the F8 key as soon as the computer begins to boot. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode.

I suggest safe mode with networking so that you can access the internet.
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#5 EscalatorKid

EscalatorKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:43 PM

I have been using the Safe Mode to do all scans.

Unfortunately, I cannot access the internet with Safe Mode as it does not recognize the router/wireless connection.

Essentially, I think I'm screwed on this...

I tried to do a couple of System Restores, but upon restart, all I see is the Wallpaper, and the mouse arrow. Nothing else appears for me.

I'm going to keep trying...

#6 EscalatorKid

EscalatorKid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:57 PM

Scratch that last post... I managed to get the internet on this. I'll post an HJT log in the HJT forums, but I'm still having trouble when I start the computer in any other mode than Safe. I get about one or two clicks, on any icon, area, menu, etc, and then it freezes up in an arrow/hourglass cursor, and then it's over.

Thanks for the help thus far, guys!

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:39 PM

EscalatorKid,

Now that you have an open HJT log posted in the HijackThis Logs and Malware Removal forum, you shouldn't make any changes to your system.
Doing so, could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

At this point, the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

I'm closing this topic until you are cleared by the HJT Team.
If, after your log has been cleaned, you still need help, please PM a Moderator and we will re-open this topic.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a PM.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users