Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Getting Printer Installed

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 longislandlover

longislandlover

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:17 PM

Hi everyone! First let me say that I have learned so much about Vista since I have been lurking around. I think you all are A.W.E.S.O.M.E! And I wish I had half the knowledge you had!

My problem is that I have a system running Vista Home. Ever since I brought the system home (an eMachine), I have not been able to attach a printer to it. I have purchased and returned 12 printers, each saying that they are Vista compatible but they wont install. Even if I have the installation CD that comes with it, after it is installed, I go to the manufacturer site and update the driver but the computer will not recognize any printer!

Someone told me that my Vista is corrupted and I should reinstall it, but I will loose an awful lot of information on my system if I do that. There must be a way...

Could someone please pleae please help me!

Thank you so much

Andrea

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

What error message do you get when you try to install the printer(s)? Have you tried NOT using the included CD and going directly to the manufacturer's website for the Vista driver? Have you removed all previous versions of the old drivers from your system?

FYI - Vista compatible on printers is a bit misleading. This means that there are drivers available for Windows Vista for that particular printer (that's why the sticker is an "add-on" on most printers - they were manufactured before Vista drivers became available). It DOES NOT mean that the CD that comes with it will work!!!

I recently bought an all-in-one printer from a major retailer with this sticker on it. I checked the CD before attempting to load the drivers - and found that there was no Vista version on the CD. I suspect that, had I tried to install it, that I would have had similar issues to what you have experienced.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 longislandlover

longislandlover
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:11 PM

Honestly, the exact error message that I get I cannot remember for the life of me, however in the device manager i get an exclamation point meaning unknown device. I have (each time) unstalled all reference to it, and have went directly to manufactor site first but still no soap. I have friends who have gotten older printers to work on their Vista systems but for some reason, I cannot.

I know normally there would be a driver cash in XP, but my driver cash folder is empty! And as far as plug and play, forget it....I can't even get a simple mp3 player that doubles as a thumb drive to be recognized on it. My laptop with XP picks it right up!

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

A few more details will help - make of printer, USB or networking etc. What procedure are you following? Often, for example, particularly with HP, you need to commence the installation with the printer unconnected.
Some of the manafacturers have been sharper than others when Vista is concerned. I have a very old HP laser which I run, (and installed) without a hiccup. Other more modern printers give the problems you are experiencing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users