Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Make Mono Sound Stereo

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:18 AM

Hey,

I have the Plextor Digital Video Convertor and I have quite an old Video Camera.
I have converted the video and sound fine it's just that the Camcorder only has a Mono audio output.

How can I make the audio stereo so it can be played on a Surround Sound System?

The camera is Samsung VP-L600 and the cable I have plugs into the A/V Out and there are two connectors at the end: Yellow (Video) and White (Mono Sound). I don't want to buy another cable.

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 07:47 AM

There is no stereo information in a mono track, but you can simulate stereo using an audio editor such as the free Audacity:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

A basic technique is covered here:

http://www.selected-audio-reviews.com/arti...o_to_stereo.htm

What format are your video files being recorded in? The difficulty is going to be that the mono sound is incorporated into the audio layer of the video file, and extra sound would have to be added in as an overdub.

If you simply want to record straight onto left and right channels, you would need to get a y-splitter lead for the audio connection, so there is two connections available. This would record two identical channels, sound would come from left and right speakers instead of just one, but there would be no stereo "surround" effect.

Edited by Platypus, 07 October 2007 - 07:54 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:35 AM

[quote}What format are your video files being recorded in?[/quote]

The videos are being converted into MPEG2

deanpcmad

#4 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 02:40 PM

All that programs like Audacity do to a mono signal when converting it to stereo is taking the original source material, doubling it and outputing the exact same signal through both the left and right channels. If this satisfies your needs by all means go ahead and use it.

But...

Does the camera have both red and white audio outputs on your camera?

If so the solution is very simple...

You need to buy a cable that has all 3 colour connectors on it: yellow, white and red. (the cheap ones are less then $5 if you don't care about the quality)

Edited by mike b, 17 October 2007 - 07:06 PM.

music, music music...

#5 Bonneville

Bonneville

• Members
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:22 PM

:thumbsup:

Hiya,

You cannot by definition convert a mono sound to stereo, what in essence you would be doing is creating a pseudu effect were the exact same sound waves would be emitted from each of the two speaker, but in no way is it stereophonic reproduction.

Regards,,
Tony.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users