Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Re Boots/shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DeadlyAkkuret

DeadlyAkkuret

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:06 AM

Is there a difference between a computer re-booting and shutting down completely? Anyway, my pc sometimes will switch off randomly while i'm browsing the internet, and if i press the power button again right away, it goes green then shuts down again, so i usually have to wait atleast 10 minutes before i turn it back on. When i do this, the light on my monitor is orange for about 30 seconds, then finally goes green and i can see the screen, but sometimes i can only get it to continue to windows by pressing F1, other wise i just get a black screen with some errors on it (i'll let you know what they are when i see them again)

I had this same issue last year, and had 9 viruses removed, which worked for a while but cost me a lot of money. It seems weird that a virus would be able to shut down my computer and then not allow me to power it back up for another 5 minutes, so i'm starting to think it's hardware problems.

Can i get some help on this please? Thanks in advance!

Edited by DeadlyAkkuret, 07 October 2007 - 04:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:36 AM

Is there a difference between a computer re-booting and shutting down completely?

Yes ... and after a cold restart (warm after a reboot with ram not reset/cold after a shutdown) it largely much depend on how the system was shut down previously with both the BIOS and the file system both having possibly been affected by a forced or uncontrolled shut down.

Faulty hardware or software (and that includes malware) can cause both. Malware sounds high on the cards and if this has happened before did you learn to run an up-to-date virus, apply the MS updates and run a firewall).

#3 DeadlyAkkuret

DeadlyAkkuret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:41 AM

Is there a difference between a computer re-booting and shutting down completely?

Yes ... and after a cold restart (warm after a reboot with ram not reset/cold after a shutdown) it largely much depend on how the system was shut down previously with both the BIOS and the file system both having possibly been affected by a forced or uncontrolled shut down.

Faulty hardware or software (and that includes malware) can cause both. Malware sounds high on the cards and if this has happened before did you learn to run an up-to-date virus, apply the MS updates and run a firewall.

How do i do these two things?

#4 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

If the pc is randomly shutting itself down then you must find the cause be it hardware or software in origin.

To normally control the process from windows one usually either goes via the Start Button or by bringing up the Task Manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL and using its shutdown menu.

Pressing the buttons on the case has various effects. The reset button if there is one reboots the PC. The on/off push button can shut down or standby, etc, depending on the APM settings; (RClick on Desktop, Properties, Screen Saver, Power, Advanced). Keeping the power button pressed-in will usually force a power off as will pulling out the mains electricity or a laptop's adampter and battery.

Any FAT partitions being accessed at the time or a forced shutdown (especially if any disk caching is in progress) are very liable to corruption. It can also happen, though less often, with NTFS partitions.

#5 DeadlyAkkuret

DeadlyAkkuret
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:52 PM

This is the message i get when i start it back up again..

Posted Image

It mentions a hardware error there, so does this mean my problem is strictly a hardware issue? or could it be malware too?

Edited by DeadlyAkkuret, 07 October 2007 - 02:55 PM.

#6 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

What specifically does the Power setup menu detail as the error?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users