Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Won't Allow Access By Xp Machines

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 porty

porty

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:57 PM

I've got four desktop computers in a LAN. Three are running XPPro, one is running Vista Ultimate.

All of the XP machines can fully share with each other and the Vista pc can grab stuff from the XPs. But I just CANNOT get the Vista pc to share files with the others. The only folder that Vista will allow access to is the 'Public' folder, but the C drive, and all its other sub-folders, are off limits, ie, 'Access Denied'.

This in spite of me turning off Vista's UAC and setting its permissions as relaxed as possible.

I'm a tech, but no genius when it comes to difficult LAN problems like this.

Advice would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 02:25 AM

Do you have the link layer topology Protocol installed on the XP Machines? This protocol is attatched or bound to the
TCP/IP Properties of the XP machines' network cards.

#3 porty

porty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 04:31 AM

Thanks for your response. So, are you saying that all XP machines that need to link to Vista machines need this LLTD Responder thingo?

#4 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:29 AM

I would not share a drive but a folder. Why not Map a network drive from vista to XP? Safer and easy to do http://www.vista4beginners.com/Map-Network-Drive.
On your Vista machine share a folder then just map to it from XP.
MCP
MSDST

#5 RandomUser

RandomUser

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2007 - 01:24 PM

The LLTD Responder is required for XP machines to respond and communicate to Vista. Or at least, that's what M$ is saying.
I haven't had to map a network drive just yet, but I suspect that would work. Also, you may be having issues with
permissions and Rights not being set correctly. Download the LLTD Responder for XP and then attempt to connect to the drives on vista. If that Doesn't work, attempt to Map the drive. If that still doesn't work, we'll go through it step by step.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2007 - 07:33 PM

3 issues with Vista that may affect you (depending on your router's Vista compatibility):
1) DHCP Broadcast Flag (may need to be disabled on the Vista system)
2) IPv6 may need to be disabled on the Vista system
3) IP Helper service may need to be disabled on the Vista system.

None of these is a sure cure, but they fix quite a few Vista networking headaches.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jmoyet

jmoyet

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2007 - 02:14 PM

yeah just today i just set a network with xp and vista ultimate and i have the same problem. i cant seem to share anything besides public folder.

and what i really want to do is share my USB 80GB hard drive thats connected to my vista with full access and control.

#8 porty

porty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:37 AM

Guys, thanks very much for your contributions; there are some excellent suggestions here.

One thing that I've found that DOES work is to work entirely within the Vista Public folder. I can create one or more sub-folders in there, remotely if necessary from XP machines, then copy, move, delete or transfer files between the Public sub-folders and\or any of the networked XP computers.

Which is really all I wanted to do. I guess I'm a pragmatist at heart; find a working solution and run with it, rather than analyze it to a standstill.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2007 - 10:10 AM

Networking with workgroups (the usual kind for a home network) is generally restricted to using the permissions associated with the Guest Account (which are very restrictive). Try using an identical account on each machine (DO NOT rename the old accounts) with the exact same user name and password (this is referred to as "mirrored" accounts) and it will sometimes relieve some of the issues related to account sharing on workgroups.

Here's a link to PCChuck's website with a lot of great networking info: http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irre...visibility.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Luda

Luda

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:47 AM

i spent the last week trying to share drives on vista, did every little thing i could find. ended up getting really really pissed at vista. i have now gone back to XP and i am happy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users