Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm Confused On What Language.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 repairman

repairman

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:02 PM

I'm really confused about the languages to use. See I'm wanting to become a Webmaster, but everyone talks about you need to know HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, etc... I am using Dreamweaver 8 now, but I do not know what other languages or programs to use next. Can any one help me with this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:09 AM

First get to grips and really learn HTML/XHTML well. I would avoid Dreamweaver (or other big bloat apps) at this stage and if you must use a WYSIWYG author try Amaya or NVC or even SeaMonkey's Composer. Otherwise (and really a much better way to learn) use Notepad or EditPadLite or Notepad++ etc until you are proficient.

Next would be CSS to help with your design and layout and getting a nice "consistent theme" to your web.

After that you could get into other dynamic client side scripting (such as javasccript or vbs etc) and server side scripting (with or without accessing a server side database). Whether you go with CGI/Perl or PHP/MySQL or ASP and the other MS stuff is up to you and what your host server supports.

#3 firefighter17103

firefighter17103

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 12:43 AM

i am trying to teach my self by looking at other sites source (in ie click view then source). I also am using front page and modifying the code. check it out http://www.buckwildservices.com

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 15 October 2007 - 05:45 AM

While komski's suggestion of avoiding WYSIWYG editors like Dreamweaver is valid, you could use Dreamweaver in Code Editor Mode. THat way, you have the learning experience of hand coding and the help of Dreamweaver's syntax highlighting and auto-completion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users