Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Question- Could I Have Not Installed Something Right?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 08:32 PM

Hello,

I was in the market for an upgrade but I ran into some health problems over the summer and couldn't pull in any money. So after seeing positive remarks on the Core 2 Duo e2160 I figured I'd try it out as all the parts I purchased ended up being less expensive than what I was wanting to get before I got sick. My PC was,

Prior- ~2-3 years old
Athlon 64 4000+ (2.4ghz)
2 gigs DDR ram
MSI K8Neo4 mainboard
MSI NX7800 GT
Coolermaster Wavemaster case

Upgrade changes-
e2160 cpu
Arctic Cooler 7 heatsink/fan (removed pre-applied compound)
Artic Silver 5 thermal compound
PDC22G6400LLK- Patriot DDR2 ram (2x1 gig)
GA-P35-DS3P mainboard (rev2.0)

Now, I'm a novice at overclocking and I'm trying to figure it all out, but I wasn't really expecting a temperature of 45C when I'm only web browsing on the e2160's stock speed of 1.8ghz in light of many product reviews showing temperatures (even when overclocked) less than what I'm currently getting.

My question/concern is, could I have not installed the thermal compound or heatsink/fan properly on the CPU to have a temperature like this? I am aware that it can take anywhere from 20-200 hours for the thermal compound to set in, but I would figure that the temperature would be much less than what I saw with the Athlon 4000+ so that is where I am a little worried.

Thank you,

Wizdabest

Edited by Wizdabest, 06 October 2007 - 08:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 10:13 PM

*Update*

Well, I think I may have identified the large part of the heat problem. I was thinking it would be a factor before, but after reopening the case and taking a look around, I think it completely confirms that my Wavemaster must not be able to circulate the airflow very well. Below is a link to a review of a Wavemaster case along with images that should give some visual aid. Seeing as the two fans that pull the air in are mounted on the lower part of the front of the case, the air has to pass through a rather large network of wires as well as a hard drive, soundcard, firewire card, and the very large 7800gt. Lastly, apart from the power supply fan, there is only one exhaust fan on the rear of the case.

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article/207-2...+MidTower+Case/

While the only place to really test my CPU is in our tiny computer room that gets warm really fast, I believe that the inside of the case is the real problem, but I'm not really sure about what my options are outside of a new case with better circulation and more room inside.

Edited by Wizdabest, 06 October 2007 - 10:52 PM.

#3 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 08:14 AM

You could use the new style round cables, and tie up bundles of wires to help air flow. If you have not already done so.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:43 AM

They have add on fans that fit in drive bays and in expansion slots in the back of the computer. You could also look at a differnt HSF if your using stock you could shave a few degrees by using a all copper unit from Zalman.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:49 AM

A few thoughts, besides wildabeast's and sneakycyber's suggestions. If you add fans, try to balance the CFM flow, in and out. Thermal compound doesn't really have to set. It's purpose is to fill the small voids on the mating surface to give maximum contact and heat transfer. That's why you'll see and lot of people lap the heatsink. The smaller amount of compound the better
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 07 October 2007 - 09:52 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for suggestions.

I didn't use a whole lot of Arctic Silver 5 and I also have the Arctic Cooler 7 CPU cooler. I'm going to try and give organizing the wires a shot and see how much that will help and if I do start to notice cooler temperatures, then I'll probably look into replacing the case fans as I think that they were stock fans anyway.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:57 AM

How did you get the temperature measurement? The software may not be calibrated properly and the reported temp might be off. Also too much thermal paste or high room temperatures have an effect. Also conroe (Core 2 Duo and Pentium Exxxx) come with three temperature diodes. One in each core and one between the cores. The diode between the cores usually show a much lower temperature the the diodes in the cores themselves.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:27 PM

I am using Speedfan, Coretemp, and Easytune 5 (came with the drivers disk of the motherboard).

I'm running my computer at my apartment now as opposed to the tiny little room at my parents house. The temperatures of Speedfan and Coretemp are about 40C in the system tray. Easytune shows a CPU temperature of around 33C and a system temperature of 41C.

I'm still planning on trying to bunch of the wires inside with some zip ties, but I'm not so sure on changing out the CPU fans depending on which program is showing a good number (which would probably still be a good idea anyway if I want to try to get to at least 3.0ghz).

----

*edit*

Just searching around for ideas and I came across this,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16835230005

Rather than use it to cool my hard drives, I'm thinking that it could also help to push air into the system and installing it in a disk drive bay would mean that it's directly across from the CPU cooler as opposed to at the bottom of the case where it has to pass through everything else.

Then, I could replace the fan on the back of the case with a higher powered fan to exhaust air better, but that's just thought and if I did try and do it, I would have to remove the door on the front of the case if I wanted to bring in some cooler air. That, and they could probably bring in more dust that I'd really want.

Edited by Wizdabest, 07 October 2007 - 06:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users