Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! My computer won't install anything

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 3senuf

3senuf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 11 February 2005 - 11:15 AM

I really hope someone can help me. I bought Turbo Tax and went through the whole program. At the end it said I had to download some updates. I downloaded all of them and when I clicked yes to install----NOTHING. I have fiddled and fiddled thinking it was a Turbo Tax problem. THEN, I dedided to download some updates from Microsoft and guess what- SAME PROBLEM. ARGGHH!!!! I thought maybe I had a virus so I did a free virus scan online. That scan says they found over 100 errors. To fix the errors I have to buy their program. Is there a free fix anywhere on the web? I am so computer illiterate that I am leary of using programs over the internet b/c I am not familiar with them.

Does anyone have an idea what my problem could be? Do you think the 100+ errors are legitimate or is it just a scam for me to buy their program?

If you reply could you please use language that a granny could understand (even though I am 36)? I do know how to turn the computer on and surf, and I am not blonde!! LOL THANKS SOOOOO MUCH!!!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 02:19 PM

You should immediately download and install a resident antivirus. I can recommend a free one called AVG, which you can find here:

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1

If necessary, download it to somewhere you can find it, and install it in SAFE MODE (tap the f8 key whilst booting your computer, you will get a funny screen which will have the SAFE MODE option). Once installed, be sure to UPDATE the definitions on line (you can do this from the AVG control panel). Have AVG scan your hard drive and then get rid of everything it finds. Keep it active and keep it updated; to rely on on-line scans is closing the barn door after the horse runs out.

Once you have completed this, then you may be able to download and install two other good applications that will check your computer for adware:
Spybot Search and Destroy
Ad-awareSE Personal

These three applications will, more than likely, rid your hard drive of a LOT of nasty things. If, after doing this, you still have problems, post back.
Regards,
John

You will find the links to the adware applications, and some good basic steps to protecting your computer at this tutorial:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/keep-your-computer-safe-online/
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 cdggraham

cdggraham

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:38 PM

I just scanned your post real quick but I wanted to tell you something.

I bought Turbo tax a couple of years ago and got my money back. Got me stuck in a loop. Lousy software.

However, if you go to the IRS website, and you make less than (I think) $34,000 a year. You can file your taxes online from there. I found it very easy to use and it was free.

If you make more, I think you end up paying a fee but gosh, your taxes are DONE and online!

Just follow the links to the software company provider. It was pretty easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users