Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Hard/software Issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 goofygoober

goofygoober

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:09 AM

I'm having a problem with my laptop as well.
At first, I had set it to hibernate. Then when I tried to boot it up it would give me the message:
"Loading PBR for descriptor 2...done.
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"
I restrated and it gave me the same message.
I then thought it might be trying to boot from something that doesn't exist (Why? I don't know). So I borrowed my friends Windows XP cd and booted my laptop with it.
At first it worked at was back where my computer was left off, then I turned off my comp., put it back on and it gave me the same problem I started with.

So I did the XP cd thing again, but it seemed it overwrote my copy of XP. But I'm pretty sure that it didn't exactly but was reinstalled in a new folder in the C: drive. I was told to check my partitions for inactive HDD/partitoins. I'm not sure what I'm looking for or what to do.

Sorry for spelling mistakes and for the length of this post

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:14 AM

Hi Goober, :thumbsup: to the forum!

If you could provide us with the make and model of your laptop and what perhiperals (external hard disks, printers etc) you might have connected to your laptop it would be helpfull to try and diagnose your problem.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 goofygoober

goofygoober
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 09:34 AM

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2200. Windows XP SP2. Intel celeron M processesor.
I don't have any printers or anything of the sort connected to it. Its connected with a router for wireless internet access in my home.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:27 PM

First...every time XP or Windows installs, it creates a Windows folder.

If you have two Windows folders on the same partition, your premise re two installs might be correct. XP does not install to a "hidden folder". Files are hidden, folders are not.

I would try a repair install of XP, following all instructions for doing such, How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318728

FWIW: I've had that error and tried the MS solutions, none of them worked for me.

Maybe your luck will be better :thumbsup:.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 October 2007 - 07:29 PM.

#5 goofygoober

goofygoober
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 October 2007 - 11:06 PM

Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens.

#6 goofygoober

goofygoober
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 12:21 AM

ok. So I rebooted with the Windows XP cd. And I used the Recovery console. I pressed "1" to repair that installation(the original one) and it asked me for the administaror password. So I typed in the password that I always typed when I logged in(I was the only user) but it won't accept it.
So I tried the same thing with "2" and the password issue happened. And after I type three invalid passwords, it forces me to restart

#7 komski

komski

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 02:47 AM

So I typed in the password that I always typed when I logged in

There is a specifically named "Administrator" account and password that has no password unless one has specifically been set for it. Try just hitting the Enter Key with no password at all entered.

#8 goofygoober

goofygoober
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:21 AM

komski, I did that too. And it says the password is not valid.

#9 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

There do exist bootable disk images that will reset administrator passwords, but at a (slight) risk of losing data.
You could use one of those to reset the administrator password, then gain access to the recovery console.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 07 October 2007 - 10:12 AM

OK.

When you are in the RC, you type in the 1 because that's the only/original XP install, right?

How many installs does the RC initially detect when you enter? Does your system have two Windows folders viewable?

Louis

#11 goofygoober

goofygoober
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 01:31 PM

RC detects two installs.
I decided I'm goin to do a parallel installation and then backup my files from my original XP. And then delete the uneeded installation(s).
Because my passwords are not being accepted by the RC.

#12 goofygoober

goofygoober
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 05:02 PM

I do not know the admin password for installation "1" in the RC. Is there a way I can find out what it is or reset or something on the lines of that?

#13 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:57 AM

There are a few ways to find/get into the admin account, however "how to" 'hack' or 'crack' isn't allowed on here. My best advice is to google the term: "find admin password winxp" - you may find some assistance.

Its at times like these when a USB caddy/enclosure with a secondary hdd comes in handy.

Edited by FireKracker, 08 October 2007 - 05:58 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users