Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup/hibernation/sleep Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lichtkind

Lichtkind

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hi all,

I'm using an hp pavilion dv1680us laptop running Windows XP Professional. The issue I'm seeing is that, upon startup, I can't start any programs that use RUNDLL.EXE for about 10-15 minutes (I'll get into this in a minute). Also, I can hibernate or sleep exactly twice before hibernation/sleep will simply fail upon entry (once I enter the mode, the screen goes black, and all of a sudden I pop back to Windows with the message "Failed to enter Standby" or "Failed to hibernate." I've tried turning off all the programs that might be keeping Windows from entering standby/hibernate, but to no avail.

The rundll problem is more bizarre and more annoying. I start up my computer, and everything seems normal, but if I start a program like Safari, or I double click on my battery, or try to open Sound Manager, nothing happens. I can try over and over, and some programs work (like Firefox, Evernote, notepad, etc...) but others simply do nothing. I also have internet access but my network icons don't appear in the system tray.

Then, about 10-15 minutes later, everything I tried to do appears all at once, the network icons appear in the tray, and everything is back to normal after a spastic explosion of queued activity. I've really never seen anything like this.

Here's what I tried so far:

- Ran SFC to ensure I had genuine/uncorrupted Windows system files
- Got a clean bill of health from the Spyware section (I was tested and found clean of spyware, malware, rootkits, virii, etc) -- a huge thanks to Grinler for all the help!! :thumbsup:
- Updated all my drivers to the latest versions from hp.com
- Uninstalled all unnecessary programs
- Cleaned up my startup and services running via MSCONFIG
- Flashed my BIOS to the newest edition

I am running AVG Anti-Virus, AdAware SE, Spybot and I have a hardware firewall. I don't do anything stupid with my computer, and I use Firefox with NoScript, etc.

If anyone has ever seen anything like this, any information would be hugely appreciated. I've had this computer for about 3 years and I've finally customized it to my liking, so I would hate to have to re-do all that work with a full HDD wipe.

Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:57 AM

While I haven't seen this exact problem, I have had problems with drivers from HP (and from Microsoft). I'd suggest downloading the most current video drivers from the manufacturer of your video chipset (I presume that yours uses the Intel graphics chipset), then uninstall the HP drivers and install the Intel drivers. Often the computer manufacturer's add "features" that just aren't (IMO) needed and also cause issues with the drivers themselves.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Lichtkind

Lichtkind
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 11:09 AM

While I haven't seen this exact problem, I have had problems with drivers from HP (and from Microsoft). I'd suggest downloading the most current video drivers from the manufacturer of your video chipset (I presume that yours uses the Intel graphics chipset), then uninstall the HP drivers and install the Intel drivers. Often the computer manufacturer's add "features" that just aren't (IMO) needed and also cause issues with the drivers themselves.

Thanks for the tip -- I uninstalled my drivers and replaced them with the latest version from Intel.com. I have a Napa platform/Calistoga chipset (i945GM/GMA95).

The problem persists, but I found out some more info. The thing that is taking so long to start up is ALG.EXE. Once that starts, everything seems ok. I do have internet connectivity before it starts, though.

If I update the "services.exe" process priority to RealTime, the problem only takes 2-5 minutes instead of 10-15 to disappear.

This one really has me confused! I have never had a virus or spyware/malware infection on this machine.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2007 - 06:40 PM

I'd suggest using a free program such as Process Explorer ( http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) or Task Manager (inserted into the HCLM\...\Run key) in order to see what's taking Windows so long to respond.

Alternatively, you can see if the same thing occurs in Safe Mode (that'll let you know if it's likely to be a driver causing the issue).
You can also use msconfig to temporarily disable some of the startup items. A bit of trial and error and you should be able to isolate which (if any) startup item is causing this.

Changing the priority on services.msc to Real Time indicates that there's some process that's taking way to long - and increasing it's priority just gives it a boost (but doesn't get rid of it).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users